Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday......!

Here is "phase one" of a painting idea...a birch tree in snow. I'm doing an underpainting and linking the darks (And everytime I link darks I'm grateful to Craig Srebnik for reminding me during my workshops with him to do just that). I'll put this aside at this simple stage ....and work on it again tomorrow. (Square format..!)

 I stopped by Seven Virtues coffeehouse today. I tried to guess what the seven virtues are. I imagined things like patience, kindness and generosity. Then I used my iphone to look them up.  I sketched the traffic lights on 60th and Glisan through the window.
(Here are the virtues, in case you are curious too).

Do you ever page backwards through your sketch book? This is my favorite sketch of Maxine from my catsitting days. She got so she kind of liked me, but now when I see her she acts like she never met me before. Oh, cats...you are so inexplicable! 

My followers have reached 580! I have to thank Cathleen Rehfeld who said to me (a few years ago) "Celeste, you have to have a blog".  Since then, I've made many great contacts and friends through the blog (like you)!  Yes, I appreciate all of you!

(Top Photo) Underpainting, Celeste Bergin, Birch in the snow, oil on 8x8 canvas panel

11 comments:

martinealison said...

Une très jolie publication... Ce 13 novembre dernier était la journée de la gentillesse et je pense que votre billet en témoigne...
Un bon début pour cette future peinture... J'ai hâte de voir sa progression...
Un croquis intéressant de la paresse féline !...

Gros bisous.

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:
A beautiful publication ... This November 13th was the day of kindness and I think your ticket shows ...
A good start for the future painting ... I can not wait to see his progression ...
Interesting sketch of laziness cat! ...

Kisses.

(Thanks, Martine!)

Karin Goeppert and Kenneth Burns said...

This is very interesting, Celeste, and I am looking forward how the birch-painting will progress.
By linking the darks you mean that you "connect" the dark areas with a slightly lighter value? Thanks for posting this.

Jane said...

The painting looks like a future stunner !

CrimsonLeaves said...

Linking the darks...I shall have to try to remember that one. I love the start you have here and I think you always handle the darks brilliantly. In fact, I am wondering if that isn't what always, always lends to mood in your pieces. That is what I love so much about your work. Mood. Not something I tend to find in most art pieces, I don't think. The pieces/artists I like have great techniques and skills and their work often sparks memories for me, but I think you are the only one who manages to inject mood into the pieces.

Darlene Twitchell said...

Great start to the painting! I can't wait to see how it evolves! Cats are funny creatures aren't they? One minute they're asking for love, the next minute they're drawing blood. It's a good thing they're so cute! :)

Maritza said...

Un paisaje que enamora, Celeste!

Felicitaciones por tanto talento.
Abrazos desde Chile.

art by Michael Perchard said...

I love your birch tree in snow. I love the darks! Of course the lights too!
Thanks for posting the seven virtues. I love them. I even have the audacity to add "courage"!
Keep on painting Celeste!
Michael

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:

Lovely scenery, Celeste!

Congratulations on such talent.
Hugs from Chile.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I do page back in my sketchbook. It is nice because it puts me right there in when I did it. Sort of like listening to a song and remembering where you were when it played.

Virginia Floyd said...

I really enjoyed reading this post! Congratulations on the success of your blog.