Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesday!

It was raining buckets today, and I haven't finished setting up my new still life station...so I decided to paint something from memory. I guess I've painted enough lamps and people in silhouette to feel confident just painting willy-nilly until this image surfaced. It's a first pass, I may take it further or leave it. It's always interesting to look at things you've painted late at night the next day.
I had a cat in the scene, but the cuteness of it made me eradicate it. Sorry cat, let's just imagine you're there, somewhere, in the dark.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Late Night Reader, oil on 8x8 canvas panel

13 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I llove the emotional content of painting from memory. It is clear you see beauty in the shadows as well as the light. The cat is well hidden!

Connie said...

This is gorgeous and emotional, Celeste - let's hear it for memory paintings - really lovely!

CrimsonLeaves said...

I have to agree with both comments I see. What a lovely image and one that draws me as a moth to flame. I love the darkness like this.

hmuxo said...

I love this one, Celeste. I could never do anything by memory! That's an art by itself!! LOL

art by Michael Perchard said...

Celeste!
Very, very nice.
Something I love very much about "unfinished" pieces.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Michael

Dean H. said...

You capture the imagination with this softly shining moment, Celeste.

John Simlett said...

you are SO good at these scenes, Celeste. It's all there, the atmosphere, the light ... the cat!

I really love this type of painting - brilliant!

Maritza said...

ES UNA PRECIOSIDAD!!!

FELICITACIONES, QUERIDA CELESTE!
ABRAZOS.

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:

It's gorgeous!

CONGRATULATIONS, CELESTE DEAR!
HUGS.

(Thanks, Maritza!)

Quin Sweetman said...

This is really great, Celeste. Love that you can make up such a compelling scene from memory!

Dan Kent said...

Wonderful subject - love the subdued thoughtful result.

David Castillo Starr said...

like it exactly as is

Harry Kent said...

A beautifully impressionist piece, Celeste. Somehow feels very nostalgic, as if a memory of mom reading while listening to the radio.

The light seems more than lamp-light. It seems like a glimpse down the vista of years, recalling safe childhoods and contented moments.

And cats are like that, silently around, present, but not always revealed to human scrutiny.