Recently, I was in a discussion with some other painters about painting flowers with just 2 or 3 values. We agreed that it runs against our natural proclivity for detail, but "No petals--just large shapes" is the mantra of many successful floral painters! I often suffer from wanting to paint petals...so my objective was to do the 2-3 value thing...(and why not go ahead and paint over an old crappy painting while I am at it...yes, why not!)
Here are the steps:
1. This is a failed landscape on it's side. The white chunk lower left was a house. I indicated the overall new shape with a dark red paint.
2. I put down the two values and I'm aware that it doesn't look like this is going to work. I soldier on anyway.
3. I begin to add some detail (but not much) to the flowers.
4. Once I add darks all around what I've painted thus far...it is starting to look like something.
5. Just a few more large shapes and colors (No individual petals) and Voila! A good practice session that proves that large shapes and 2-3 values carries the day.
Painting: Celeste Bergin, Flowers in the sun, oil on 8x10 canvas panel
Have you wondered why you are creating? Have you ever thought about quitting (or not even starting)? Theories on this subject will be advanced (and answers provided) Wednesday, Sept 9, 6:30-7:30 2412 NW Raleigh St, Portland, OR 97210
OHSU Collaborative Life Science Bldg Invitation Only, Tilikum Bridge Lighting
Art Splash City of Tualatin Tualatin Commons 8325 SW Nyberg Street Tualatin, OR Reception, July 25, 2015
PACIFIC NORTHWEST PLEIN AIR 2015 Juried Competition and Exhibition (Juror: Bryan Mark Taylor) Columbia Art Gallery August 2015 Reception August 7, 6-8pm 215 Cascade Street Hood River, Or 97031
Broderick Gallery 1318 Commerce Ave, Longview, WA 98632 Reception: Sunday, June 7 1-6pm
(To celebrate its summer special exhibition: The Art of the Louvre’s Tuileries Garden) Event Dates: 8/8/2014 - 8/10/2014 Reception: 8/9/2014 Location: Portland Art Museum (503) 226-2811 1219 SW Park Ave Portland OR 97205
Alla Prima Portland First Annual Invitational Group Show 2014