Sunday, December 16, 2012

Skies are not always blue

All right, this is not an altogether believable sky, but we artists are not always in the believability business. I learned quite awhile ago that skies can be painted in all sorts of colors aside from blue. This is a "paint over". It is always cool to paint something over...ending up with something completely new. The steps are below:

1. I find an old painting that doesn't work. This one qualifies...poor composition and nothing much at all going for it. It is painted on a nice grainy wood support. That's nice!

2. I sand it lightly and dust it off.

3. The new composition is indicated in red paint.

4. I'm thinking about simple shapes and color harmony. (The design is from a previous painting)

5. The sky and the big shapes are massed in.

6. There are few elements in this painting...but the design is strong. I especially like the grain of the wood in the paint.  I'll add a little variety to the sky tomorrow..but I won't change it much! It's absolutely fun to "paint over"---!!

(Top Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, Mystery Creek, oil on 8x8 wood panel

10 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Thank you for sharing it! Very interesting!
Best wishes, Sadami

CrimsonLeaves said...

Ooh, I think this is so pretty! I've seen orange skies like this at sunrise and sunset, at least close to the horizon. Also, I really like that your strokes in the end follow the direction of the wood grain.

art by Michael Perchard said...

Good morning Celeste!
I love the Christmas Still Life you posted the other day. Great colors and composition!
Also love the model painting!
Thank you posting your painting process for this work. was using some paper the other day!
You are right about artists! Many times the more unbelievable the better! Every stage of this work is interesting to me! I love the almost abstract quality on the final painting. Nice!
Paint on and on and on.
Michael

Libby Fife said...

Before I looked at the post title, I thought, "She should call this one "skies are not always blue."" (Can you have quotes within quotes?" Everything is very harmonious with that orangey sky:)

Jenny Short said...

Great transformation. Beautiful painting. xo Jenny

Dan Kent said...

I love it when you so this! Great result! I am oh so behind on commenting but I make it a point always to look at and read all of your posts. I am inspired always. Love the Xmas picture and the acrylic woods!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Great seeing the transition. I loved the still life too, but it was neat seeing the transformation take place. End result is fabulous.

Paula Kuitenbrouwer said...

Decades from now, your delightful orange sky will be x-rayed and the scientist will feel excited to find your still life under it. :-)

I've done the same with a wooden panel. They are just too precious to discard. Good re-use, in your case definitely up-use.

Chris said...

recycling at its best!

Randall David Tipton said...

Though I like the silent landscape you painted, the original still life was lovely and fresh. In my humble opinion.