Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday!

This is a still life that I've been working on at Studio 30.  I don't know if I'll continue it. I think I've lost interest, though it is a good start.  I'll determine if I want to go further at the next session. Meanwhile...

In her book Elizabeth Tolley makes a case for using your old worn brushes for scrubbing/massing, but using your better new brushes for most all other brushwork. I decided to replicate the old brush/new brush example from her book (below). Sure enough, the marks made with the old brush (top row) are more scruffy looking, while the marks made with the new brush (bottom row) are more clear and clean. I know, I know, this should be obvious! But proving it to myself in paint has driven home the point! This explains clearly why some of the paintings I've done with an old brush aren't as successful as those I've finished with a new brush. Food for thought!


(Top photo: Unfinished Painting, Celeste Bergin, Still life, oil on 12x16 canvas panel

8 comments:

John Simlett said...

A new broom sweeps cleaner! The metaphor seems to apply here, Celeste. :0)

CrimsonLeaves said...

I like the start on the still life. It will be interesting to see if you finish it. As to the marks with the old vs. new brush, it is interesting to prove such things to yourself. And also good for people like me to see what you are talking about. LOL

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Perhaps your still life is finished. I like it just the way it is, but I'm a little odd!

Libby Fife said...

Boy, is that true on all counts! I save my scruffy brushes for where I need scruffiness-distant trees, etc. Good to have nice crisp new brushes:)

hmuxo said...

This is coming along so beautifully, Celeste, so I really hope you don't give up on it...love that pot!!

hmuxo said...

This is coming along so beautifully, Celeste, so I really hope you don't give up on it...love that pot!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

finish the painting!

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
The uploaded work looks so lovely. Look forward to next!
Interesting to see your brushes and stroke results for oil painting. I use rough and stiff one for dry brush technique in watercolour.
Best wishes, Sadami