Sunday, January 6, 2013

The weekend...Saturday and Sunday!

I'm taking Kat Sowa's Studio Painting Series. She is teaching twice a week. Her method includes painting a colorful underpainting, providing a "foil" for colors she puts on top. It's an adjustment to think of other colors (aside from the local color) while looking at objects. 

During today's session our objective was to cover the entire canvas in loose darker-than-what-you-see-color. This is altogether different than I normally paint...but I think I get what she is getting at ....and next session I will begin to make sense of it. I hope. Right now I see a really wacky face. See it? I'll have to fix that. (This will be sunflowers). Stay tuned. You'll see. 

I did not post yesterday....(I just got behind schedule)...but I had plenty to report. 

Dave wanted to test a camera that he might purchase. We stopped at the Lone Fir Cemetery and he took photos while I sketched. 

The name over the door on the Mausoleum is supposed to read Macleay*..but it is broken off at MACL. *I know this from their website. Scores of  birds and squirrels were playing nearby while I drew this. They were so happy and chirpy it reminded me of the scene in Cinderella when they all band together to make her a dress. Nice to feel such cheerfulness in a cemetery. 

I stopped by to see Gila Lane at Lane Gallery. Here she is pointing to where the Lane Gallery is located in a painting of Clinton Street by Mitch Freifeld. (I have work in this show too... go by and see the exhibit, it's all beautiful!)

During our outing we happened into a beautiful interiors/antique shop (E Essence Antiques). We met the owner, Lynn Mesher. She's super-friendly and we talked about lots of things....and  I bought some wonderful French soap too. 

Finally, we met Dave's friend Patrick Kolb and had coffee in the Ford Building at Ford Food + Drink (nice place!). Pat is trying to decide about that same camera. 

So that is my Saturday/Sunday...What about you...good weekend??

(Top Photo) Underpainting: Celeste Bergin, Sunflowers, oil on 16x20 stretched canvas


9 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

I always find cemeteries so beautiful! I wonder at everyone's stories, their lives, their deaths. I wonder how the name broke away on the mausoleum? On the in the works painting I do see the face but firstly I see a green olive! I love green olives so that must be why. LOL I think I'm going to try to begin a diet today. I need to desperately. Your days sound so full and rich with art. I wish I knew how to find things like this here and could find a way to get involved.

L.W.Roth, said...

I can see the sunflowers coming. Interesting approach--sort of like painting over an old painting and coordinating to it.

We had a lovely weekend. We went out for New Years by ourselves and had our usual good time by ourselves. We totally missed the social season and really still didn't feel like being social. Today, I'll get back to normal life. I'm looking forward to it after two weeks of sneezing and coughing and dragging about. Good to see you didn't miss a beat. Happy camera.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I like this underpainting. I can imagine that it is going to work. Fun to see your weekend. I'd love to go sketching with you.

Helen Moreda said...

Celeste I am new to your blog but I love it. I am just south of you in the SF Bay Area. That underpainting is stunning. Yes, I see the face but more importantly the deep and true colors. Can't wait to see the progression.

Dean H. said...

This sounds similar to the method of doing the entire underpainting in complementary colors.
Should lead to an interesting painting, Celeste!

Linda Popple said...

Busy week-end with lots of art. Wonderful! And your painting is going to be fun to see how it comes out.

My week-end .... well, a really bad cold and sore throat has kept me inside. :-(

Anonymous said...

you are so busy! I'll check back to see what happens with that underpainting.
Daria D.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you, Sherry, Linda, Sheryl, Helen, Dean, Linda and Daria! I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

David Starr said...

Well, that was a nice outing.