Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tuesday in Portland

A taxicab just says "City" like nothing else. 

Any outing in Portland seems to turn into an Art-thing! I thought I'd share today's coffee house excursion with you. This is a favorite place: Stumptown (on Division). 

At first glance, I thought the art on display was somehow drawn directly on the walls.

But as I got closer I realized that what I was looking at was fabric, like netting...with delicate designs sewn into it. So beautiful!

The artist statement on the wall indicated that the art is "freehand embroidery" in tulle. 
Emily Katz called her show: In Dreams. Perfect, because the work is so pale and uncertain ....just like a dream.

(Top Photo) Celeste Bergin, Painting, Taxi, oil on 8x8 canvas panel



13 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

The filmy art is indeed dreamy...So pretty! Your days always sound like fun to me...at least the parts you share!

hmuxo said...

A beautiful painting, Celeste. City paintings are always so interesting to me. So much going on.

art by Michael Perchard said...

Celeste!
Your wonderful city paintings greatly say city! Fantastic color, movement, drama, and excitement. Also well painted! And I love cities!
Also love yesterday's post!
Paint on and on and on!
Michael

hw (hallie) farber said...

I haven't seen a yellow cab in ages--wonderful painting of a busy city. We all want to join you in Portland.

Susan said...

Your lively city painting reminds me of New York :)! And thank you for showing us the delicately embroidered fabric - it is ethereal and lovely.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Your painting is dynamic and bold.
and my, I do love that fabric art. It amazes me. Thanks for the excursion.

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, Sherry, hmuxo, Michael, Hallie, Susan and Sheryl...always so nice to get your comments. I have to run over to your blog now to see what you've been up to! Thanks again !

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

Great painting, Celeste! I like the figures in relation to the taxicab, and the colors say "rainy day in Portland" quite nicely!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Celeste, not sure if it is raining in the taxi painting, , but it sure looks like it! Love this one! The feeling of motion, and activity of a busy city, on a rainy day, is really present ! Striking work!

Katharine A. Cartwright said...

You're a master at capturing mood and gesture. Love the painting!

Michael Lindstrom said...

I love the sketchiness of the taxi painting Celeste. It really does feel like "city", well cone!

Victor Errington said...

Hi Celeste.
I love your Maybe painting. You are so right in saying that you don`t have`to go to the nth detail. I don`t always put down what I see, just how I want it. I like your other cab painting also and the photos. All great. all the best.
Vic.

mary maxam said...

Beautiful city and cab, I'm loving the color and movement in this.