Saturday, February 9, 2013

I'm a collector!....(Art that I own)

No painting for me today, so it is a good time to re-post this updated "I'm a collector!" post. (Newer acquisitions at the end).

_______________________________

I think most artists admire other artists..I'm no exception. For many years I didn't have anything much on my walls except for my own work, but recently I realized that now I have a good start on a great art collection. Some things I have purchased, some things have been trades..I love all these treasures (yes, even this questionable and "ugly" Dali). Welcome to my my collection, (scroll down, it's in random order):

This is a signed lithograph by Salvador Dali. it was purchased in 1978 in the Bahamas. It is from the "Pergatory" panels of Dante's Inferno. I have a certificate of authentication, however, Dali is the most forged artist of all time.  In order to be confirmed that it is attributed to Dali I would have to have it appraised by a firm that is accredited to authenticate Dali. It's spendy and I don't know if I want to make the investment in knowing. This is the first "real art" (if it is) that I ever owned. I realize that it is very er...novel but the strangeness of it thoroughly impresses me,  along with the fact that it may be an actual Dali.

I bought this painting on eBay a couple of years ago. Thanks to my blogging friend hwfarber, I learned this was painted by Arturs Upelniek/Upelnieks (born 1911). Here is a link to a post about one of my favorite acquisitions. (An interesting thing that I later learned about Mr. Upelniek was that he was once lost at sea, and many of his paintings depict a relentlessly dark and foreboding ocean). Upelniek immigrated from Latvia and became a member of the Ashcan school.



A beautiful piece of pottery by Kurtis Piltz (no website). I traded a  painting for it.
I use it as an umbrella stand or to hold huge arrangements.
(The Kitty cat, Daisy is also a "prized possession").


Life casting, by Peny Wallace (I bought this in 2009, it is of Peny's daughter)



Another of my most favorite paintings, by Eric Jacobsen
I acquired it very close to this event.



A classic Eric Jacobsen landscape (isn't it beautiful!?) Acquired in 2009



Small painting by Eric Jacobsen purchased at Eric's studio sale



Small painting II by Eric Jacobsen purchased at Eric's studio sale



Brenda Boylan pastel (I traded a small painting for this)



Eric Bowman Acquired 2010 (I feel so lucky to own this!)



A study by Crawfurd Adamson (Gift from Crawfurd and Broderick Gallery)



Bonnie White, Gorge artist (purchased at Gorge White House)



Hanging vase by Margaret Synan-Russell


Painting purchased during Cathleen Rehfeld's Studio Sale



Cathleen Rehfeld (artist trading card, I still have to do mine)



Mosaic purchased at Bread and Ink Emilie Machon (no website)
The artist told me that when that cup accidently broke she announced,
"No problem, I will just use it in my next mosaic!"



Painting purchased during Portland Open Studios, Virginia Leonnig
... see the WPA influence?



Mark Larsen (trade for a painting of mine)



Kimberly Kent, purchase of one of her plein air encaustics (during her studio sale)



Kimberly Kent, (Gift) Abstract Expressionist Oil Painting



Mike Rangner, purchased at the Gorge White House


Scott L. Hendrie, Watercolor and ink portrait of "me" (gift)



Todd Smith Oil painting purchased at Todd's solo show at Gorge White House...(it's TOO good!)



Elizabeth See, Purchased at Columbia Art Gallery 10/10




Carolyn Rondthaler, (Watercolor), purchase from her show at First Unitarian Church, summer 2011




Eric Bowman, purchased in his "Collector's show" December 2011 (I ♥ this painting! )




Michael Lindstrom (Oil painting trade) ---Plein air, so thrillingly "fresh"

(MORE additions to my collection):


Anton Pavlenko (from the Inspirations in Paint exhibit)


Eric Bowman (My 3rd Bowman; this is The Scenic Highway)


Eric Jacobsen (little mouse immortalized) 


Thomas Kitts (his demo in a workshop..2011, I won the drawing for this)


Sarah Kaempf Matkowski (metal on photography)


Quin Sweetman (trade!)


Za Vue (purchase at her studio sale)


Watercolor portrait of my Mom by blogger "Crimson Leaves" (Priceless Gift! 2011)

_______________________
This isn't quite everything...there are some more that need to be photographed...AND I have plans to add more to my collection very soon. 

Well, and how about you....do you own art that someone else did? 

12 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, I am happy to say I have paintings by other artists. They bless and instruct me.

Not that I need anything for my walls. But I do need art, and art by other artists whose work I love.

When I'm out painting, sometimes people stop and talk, especially if I am set up near their property. I usually ask them if they like art. To my great surprise, some have said "no". I have to stop myself from screaming out exclamations of horror, contempt and scorn.

How can anyone NOT like art? It boggles the mind. But it may be that in our current financial climate, artists are really the ones who cannot live without art.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh what a fabulous collection! I have one too and it is my pride and joy (next to my kids and grandkids)!

Dean H. said...

Your collection is great! Mine is a complete pauper by comparison.

Dan Kent said...

Beautiful collection! I see how you have been influenced by some of these artists. Thankfully not by Dali's potato man. ;)

SHeryl Anthony said...

Nice collection! Your taste is eclectic!

Susan said...

What a fabulous collection! It must be so inspiring to have so many pieces of art to feast your eyes on daily!

Sadami said...

Hi, Cleste,
Each is very interesting. But above all, your portrait looks so gorgeous!
Cheers, Sadami

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I loved seeing your collection and want to know your address so I can sneak in and take a few off your hands!

I have always collected art. My husband and I decided when we got married that for our anniversary gift every year we would pick a piece of art - together - agreeing we both had to love the piece. Sometimes it would take a whole year to find it and others it would be quick. We have been married for 35 years now and enjoy our collection of paintings in all medias, sculpture, glass, fiber and pottery.

hw (hallie) farber said...

A great collection, Celeste. I have found that artists aren't hesitant to spend their money on things they love. I need more walls.

B Boylan said...

I love seeing your collection Celeste, and even better is that I own one of yours! I have to point out that your purchased pieces show a huge support for the art market....and, it is the best form of engagement. :) How else are we to hope that people collect our art if we artists don't do it ourselves?

If you don't mind, I think I might follow your example and post my collection on my blog at some point too.

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

GREAT post! I love seeing the art that you love. More of us art bloggers should do the same.

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

I am so honored to be included!