Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday!

I went to Eric Jacobsen's one-day still life workshop at Art on the Boulevard today. Eric had some of that new Arches paper (for painting) that everyone seems to be talking about. He gave me a sheet to try. I discovered that I like it. It seems like a nice surface for painting little studies. I'll buy some! 

I did a 2nd painting on a panel, but that one tanked. It was a great workshop for me, nevertheless...lots of deep thought-provoking discussion together with some light-hearted banter. (Painting and learning alongside friends is the best!) Slideshow below:

(Top Photo): Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Workshop Still life, oil on Arches gessoed paper 4.5 x 6

9 comments:

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Thanks for sharing the photos, Celeste. It looks like it was an awesome workshop. Tell the "photographer" that I'd like a copy of the group shot! ^_^

martinealison said...

Merci pour le partage de vos photos... Un excellent cours de peinture. Et quel bel aboutissement avec cette nature morte.
Des couleurs généreuses qui me plaisent.

Gros bisous et bon dimanche.

CrimsonLeaves said...

What a fabulous day you had! I like your still life and am quite enamored with the two large pieces in the background of the slideshow. Gorgeous colors in both of them!

John Simlett said...

Looks like you had a great time - I enjoyed the photographs.

I finally got some 'white' and will have a go at acrylics this afternoon!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Love all the photos Celeste!
I really enjoy your still life!
I love your blog! Always great art, great information, and great entertainment!
Thank you Celeste!
Michael

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for sharing all this, Celeste. I always enjoy seeing what you are doing and the group art activities look so fun.

I'd love to hear more about painting with oils on the Arches. Is it a nicer surface than canvas or a panel? It's difficult to imagine that the paper will be as sturdy over time as other support options for oils. Do tell!

hmuxo said...

Definitely a beautiful still life, Celeste. I love your brush work!!
and of course, the photos were excellent!!

PAMO said...

Great still life! Sounds like a wonderful work shop too- wish I could have been there.

I saw the artist on Sunday Morning CBS today who paints the Walmart scenes. His still life colors and brush strokes reminded me of you- even though you paint completely different subjects. Something about the freshness of line and easiness of composition struck a chord.

I like a book that has an uplifting ending and an artist who makes their art and life approachable. Thank you Celeste for being YOU!!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

I would love to take that workshop!