Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wed-nes-day!

Here are a bunch of my paintings that are of no use to me. I decided to "repurpose" them by painting them over with Kilz. 

I've never used Kilz before...but an artist I respect told me that it works great... (Zee fumes are strong and probably kilz off zee brain cells, so before long I moved zee operation to zee outdoors).

After only one coat, all traces of crappy paintings....gone!  I'll sand lightly and give them another coat tomorrow. New panels and canvases for new practice paintings!

In the evening I attended a Columbia River Art Group meeting. We all shared our most recent paintings. (Pretty much a perfect day!)

What about you.....what are you doing today?

10 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Zis iz very interesting. Iz that K stuff like zee gesso.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Crappy paintings? Methinks not. But I do admire your re-use techniques!

Libby Fife said...

Zee product is fantastique'!

A good day all the way round:)

hmuxo said...

I have a can of Gamblin-Ground home and I'm wondering if its the same thing as kilz??!! It's such a great idea to re-use the canvas instead of throwing it away.!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Your definition of crappy and mine must be different. Still, I do like the idea of out with the old and in with the new. I will try this for myself!

hw (hallie) farber said...

I think your hard work leads to these perfect days; you deserve every one.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Polly, Sherry, Libby, hmuxo, Sheryl and Hallie! Hmuxo...yes, Kilz and Gamblin ground both do the same thing...though Kilz is meant for "home projects" (like walls and floors). My respected artist friend tells me that it works just fine for covering old paintings. Gamblin is a "finer" product, meant for preparing a surface for oil paintings. Both are oil based.

hmuxo said...

thank you for getting back to me Celeste...now I can open the can!!

nanine said...

Your productivity and resourcefulness in repurposing canvases is an inspiration! - Nanine

nanine said...

I so admire your productivity. And your resourcefulness at repurposing your canvases is an inspiration.