Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday!

I'm in Ned Mueller's 3-day workshop at Carol Hansen's studio. Ned provided stacks of interesting reference photos for us to paint.  (We had our choice of bringing in our own photos or choosing from the ones he brought). I opted to use his, but I felt indecisive about which photo to commit to. I decided to paint small studies instead of one painting. Ned stressed establishing major shapes and paying close attention to values. 

At first I was going to do these value studies in just black and white...but Ned walked by and said "add some red, it will liven it up." This figure had great shapes and the warm (red) and cool (black) definitely worked well, just as Ned predicted.

The third study I did was this little landscape. It was a great day and it went by super-fast. We'll be back in the morning. To see more photos from the day....go HERE.


(Top Photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Dingy, oil on 8x10
Photo 2 Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Bearded man, oil on 6x8
Photo 3 Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Landscape, oil on 5x7
Photo 4 Ned's demonstration and lecture

9 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

These are really lovely studies, especially the man. Enjoy the rest of the course.

CrimsonLeaves said...

What beautiful work! I really love the portrait and always enjoy when you do those, Celeste. Looks like he has a great turnout in this workshop too.

Libby Fife said...

Add a little red! Gotta remember that:)

Glad you are having a good workshop so far. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Linda Popple said...

Love your studies, Celeste. It is amazing that adding a little red makes such a difference in the portrait.

Again, thanks for all the workshop photos!

mary maxam said...

I love all three and thanks for posting...looking forward to MORE!

hmuxo said...

Beautiful studies, Celeste!! I love the portrait..

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I am envious - love Ned's art. He must be thrilled to have you in the class.
Your landscape is a little stunner - great water especially.
And yes - the red looks wonderful.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Me too! I'm with Julie on this--envious! Beautiful work.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you, Sheryl, Julie, hmuxo, mary, Linda, Libby and Sherry! I appreciate your comments! :)