Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday!

I'm in day two of the Ned Mueller workshop. He has done a lot of traveling to exotic places, so he has many beautiful reference photos. Ned says: "good art is an interesting arrangement of colors and shapes." Today our challenge was to paint from 3 or 4 different photos (combining elements from each). Apparently, in India women carry all manner of things on their heads. (I'm glad I live here--but I do love the colors of their Saris). It was especially fun to put down big shapes of bold color.  In the evening Ned treated us to a bonus portrait demonstration of fellow painter Jim King. To see photos from the day....go HERE.

Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Marketplace, oil on 9x12 canvas panel

(Here are the people in attendance at the finish of the portrait demo: L to R, Paul, Carol, Hilarie, me, Jim, Ned and Roger)

10 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Wow, Celeste! Not a subject I'm used to seeing from you but you've handled it beautifully, as you do all your compositions. Really a stunner of a piece and to my mind, a statement piece as well.

Lisa Graham said...

Your piece turned out wonderful. It is a good idea to use different parts of different photos and you put yours together well. I love how you are always immersed in art all the time.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Awesome, Celeste! Unusual and interesting. Good work!

Page Railsback said...

Every day.!.you never miss a beat. You are really good with people..faces and bodies..and of course good at landscapes and still lifes and .....

Linda Popple said...

Love this!

Stephanie Berry said...

Wonderful, wonderful painting. I love the simple shapes and the colors are perfect. Beautiful!

John Simlett said...

Each day a different style, what scope for experiment you have. I love the colours and shapes in this, but then, that's what it's about.

One day, when I can paint properly, I shall try workshops if I can find any around here.

hw (hallie) farber said...

What a great Saturday you had! Wonderful painting.

hmuxo said...

LOVE the colors in this painting..
Beautiful piece!!!

David Starr said...

The portrait is amazing. Wish I could have been there.