Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday!

I did some clean-up in "der bunker" studio today. I ran across this painting that I did on a cigar box a few years ago. It serves as a good reminder that oil painters aren't confined to canvases*. I enjoy how the embossed words on the lid show through the paint.

*I don't know what I'll do with this...if anything. I guess I could varnish it! It was an interesting experiment.

Here's what the inside looks like. I used to use cigar boxes as pochade boxes. When I first started painting "on-site" I loved putting a cigar box (charged with paint) into my tote bag and heading off to a coffee shop. So portable! I can't say I have any genius paintings from those days..but I remember the experience was fun!  I wonder why I stopped doing that...? Well, sketchbooks and pens are obviously a whole lot more convenient....but who knows, maybe I'll put paint back in this and head out with it once again. Why not!

Tomorrow back to finish the studio clean-up. Hope you are having a great week so far!

(Top Photo): Painting, Celeste Bergin, Sunflowers on 8 x 10 x 2 wood cigar box

11 comments:

Lisa Graham said...

Your box is wonderful. The only thing I've ever put in a cigar box were Barbies when I was a young girl. :)

mary maxam said...

Oh sunflowers- one of my favs! so direct and beautiful!

Linda Popple said...

Love your cigar box! Good luck with the studio clean up!!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Couldn't you hang this on a wall, like a regular painting?

Dan Kent said...

Well, my recollection is that Diebenkorn painted many a cigar box, and they've ended up in private collections and in books on him right next to his works on canvas! This may not be genius, but it is delightful and beautiful. So I'd call it .. genius!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh what a fabulous box and beautiful painting! Do varnish it, Celeste!!! What a fine gift it would make to a good friend too. A trinket box...an art piece...sigh...

hmuxo said...

Love the sunflowers, Celeste...!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Wow!
A beautiful treasure chest!
Thank you for pointing out the embossed words. This is another fabulous work of art!
Bravo Celeste!
Michael

suzanneberry said...

great idea! and you're so right the embossing looks great. good luck with the studio clean up. i know how that feels. gak!

L.W.Roth, said...

The box IS wonderful. I would never have thought of it--and yes, the ghost words are most intriguing. Varnish it. Put it to use.

Dean H. said...

Beautifully done, Celeste! I really like the brilliant contrast between the flowers and the background!!