Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday!

The sky gave us a show of beautiful billowing clouds today. I painted this on one of those "natural linen" canvas panels. I have not had the best luck with those, but today the inherent neutral of the support helped me to place the undersides of the clouds.

I also used my half size Jullian easel (that I haven't used very often). I wanted to test it to see if I might like to paint with it and a palette laid across the drawer. It was more of a chore to put up than my pochade box and everything was heavier,  but it was a nice change and I'll use it again soon. I especially appreciated the larger mixing area.

Sorry, Mufasa, you have to stay home and hold down the fort.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Clouds over Corbett, oil on 8x10 canvas panel 

10 comments:

Page Railsback said...

Beautiful Celeste..Drama, Bold and beautiful
Funny another blogger tonight mentioned how difficult it is to paint on linen..I have only done oil palette knife on it. Alas.. I will not be in Portland this trip on the west coast..maybe in the Fall

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

WOW Celeste this is a jewel-I also really like 'Wednesday' and 'Friday'-haven't visited in a while so was a real pleasure to scroll through your body of work. Your palette seems to be changing-in a really good way!

Nice to see how you pack- am curious about your other pochade set-up-can you set a small canvas as high on the tripod as you can with the french easel?

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh that Mufasa is such a gorgeous boy!

I was so instantly reminded of the old west in this piece. From the mid-1800's to be precise. So beautiful, Celeste! I don't remember if I mentioned that I bought two of those natural linen canvases myself. I think 4 x 6 size. Not sure why but I liked the look of them.

Libby Fife said...

Don't you just love a sky full of clouds? Always wonderful to capture that. And Mufasa thinks you put those shoes and pack out for him!

Dean H. said...

The tone of the natural linen certainly works in this one, Celeste!
A fine painting!

hmuxo said...

Clouds are SO much fun to paint and you did a beautiful job with them...you can almost see the sun peeking through...nice work, Celeste!

SamArtDog said...

I love the sense of moving cloud shadows.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

This glows with light illuminating the clouds. Love your colors too.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Celeste, are these cloud paintings for sale?

Quin Sweetman said...

You do great clouds, Celeste! Loving these atmospheric pieces! Though I don't see how you ever leave the house with a cat that cute.