Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thursday!

I've been on that Sargent-kick..sketching from a great book I have. Today I found myself in front of my Yarka easel in the living room..doing a couple sketches in oil. As my art friend Jim King always says.."painting is drawing and drawing is painting". 

I love how Sargent used such strong design in his portraits. This is just a sketch... I know it is nowhere near as beautiful as a Sargent! I am concentrating on putting down marks that stand for something, but are more suggested than "complete". I also tried to simply get down the big shapes...(I managed that!) I'll likely do a more finished version of this someday....for practice. 

I had a great time at today's art discussion meeting...to see what everyone brought...go HERE.

Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, After Sargent, oil on 8x10 canvas panel

11 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Good on you! I love your frind's say, too and true. I admire Sargent. His work always inspires us.
Best wishes, Sadami

Linda Popple said...

Nice sketch! Sargent is a favorite and your studies of his work are wonderful. Very inspiring!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Love seeing how you hold your brush - exactly as all the books say to hold them. Alas, I hold my own like a pencil almost. Not quite, but close. Sigh...

This lady is beautiful!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Good sketch! This makes me want to paint in my front room too!

L.W.Roth, said...

Painting in the living room! OMG! No way for me. But copying Sargeant, I'm all for it. It is a learning experience, a stretch worth taking.

Dan Kent said...

I think this is a great exercise. I saw your sketch yesterday which was wonderful. I love Sargent. I had a print of a painting of his in my office for years - the one of a painter painting a woman model in front of a fountain. The white dress, the water from the fountain, would take me away. I'd find myself staring at the painting. It was always so relaxing.

PAMO said...

I always LOVE LOVE LOVE your portraits! I think your work is beautiful and someday, someone somewhere will blog, "I know it is nowhere as beautiful as a Bergin."

YOU inspire me Celeste.

hmuxo said...

Sargent is one of my favorites and you did this painting beautifully, Celeste! A wonderful exercise...

AK said...

Aspiring to paint like Sargent is itself great. Keep at it and there will be someday somewhere someone wanting to paint like you !!!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Love seeing you at work!
You look so involved! Good for you!
Sargent rocks! You too!
Take care Celeste!
Michael

Lisa Graham Art said...

I think you did an amazing job. Some day I want to take all of the great favorite paintings from various artists and just do a painting sketchbook full of them. Just like you did here. We learn so much that way!