Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tuesday

No painting for me today, I just ran out of time! I managed to do this sketch, however..... another copy from my big book of Sargent paintings and drawings. This one may be my favorite so far...I like how Sargent elected to leave things unfinished.

(click to enlarge)

Here are the rest of my sketches so far. I'm using a Strathmore toned paper sketchbook and a variety of pencils/charcoal.  I think drawing practice really helps painting practice. :)

(Top photo) Sketch, Celeste Bergin, Copy of Sargent, page 33, charcoal on 6x9 sketchbook
(Bottom photo) Sketches, Celeste Bergin, Various copies of Sargent,  charcoal on 6x9 sketchbook


11 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

These are superb portraits. This is something I should try.

CrimsonLeaves said...

These are just so beautiful, Celeste! What an undertaking! I totally agree with your statement about good drawings being a good foundation for a painting. I think this is why I'm so often not happy with my own work.

art by Michael Perchard said...

Great sketches!
I also love when artists leave things unfinished. Let the viewer do some work and imagine.
Nice Celeste!
Michael

Libby Fife said...

I like seeing all those sketches together. It gives a very complete idea of what you are seeing in your book. And tell me about running out of time!

Casey Klahn said...

Way to go! Great intensive study.

SamArtDog said...

I think Sargeant showed that it's the "unfinished" that puts motion into a painting.
I admire your sketchbook.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I this this latest is my favorite, too--great drawing.

Sheryl Anthony said...

All so good!

dorothy lorenze said...

Celeste,
These sketches are just lovely! I'm so impressed with your work. You are really dedicated and there is always something new, which I admire and am constantly inspired by. Thank you!

dorothy

Connie said...

Hi Celeste - I'm loving all of your Sargent works - and these drawings are especially beautiful!

Jane said...

Truly beautiful !