Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wed-nes-day!

This landscape painting is a color experiment....I like how it came out!

I have been enjoying sketching from Sargent's paintings out of a big book that I own. I was doing it in my lap up until today when I realized that it would be cool to use my small drafting table for this practice. I set up a "station" of sorts....maybe I'll make it though the whole book. (I've been doing one a day and I have 8 so far). 

I'm using toned paper and a variety of pencils/charcoal. I love how Sargent loves darks! Me too!
Well, that's me---what about you...what are you up to?

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Day's End, oil on 8x8 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, After Sargent #7, charcoal in 6x8 sketchbook


11 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Wonderful active surface on this landscape. I Love the colors too.

I think it is a great idea to copy the Sargents. What a remarkable draftsman he was... never mind his ability with paint and brush.

martinealison said...

C'est un excellent exercice que celui de dessiner encore et encore...
Une petite table à dessin bien pratique !

Cette dernière peinture est un bijou de couleurs...
gros bisous

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

This is a great exercise that draw again and again ...
A small table with handy design!

This last painting is a jewel colors ...
big kisses

--------

(Thanks, Martine!)

Page Railsback said...

Looks awesome..Celeste..I am coming to Portland for a few days to visit my cousin mid June..Can I see your work and meet you?

Celeste Bergin said...

Page....of course...! email me the details (painter.celeste(at)gmail.com)

CrimsonLeaves said...

Ooh, look at that stunning sky!! And working through a Sargent book? Sounds like a great exercise! Thank you for always being so uplifting, especially when I am down. You are such a wonderful friend to me, Celeste.

Lisa Graham said...

Lots of pleasant things to see here Celeste. The colors in your painting are lovely and also your Sargent sketch. Your station looks wonderful and I love your bird painting above. Nice piece and frame job.

Libby Fife said...

Great atmosphere on that first painting.

I love that you are working through that Sargent book. Goes to show that just practising around is a good effort too:)

art by Michael Perchard said...

I love how the landscape came out! Wild and Wonderful!
Michael

Dean H. said...

You can never go wrong by doing a Sargent a day!

I really like the handling of sky and strength of colors in the painting, Celeste!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Beautiful experiment, Celeste, and wonderful Sargent drawings. I'm catching up on blogs and really like Tuesday's painting.