Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wed-nes-day!

Today's plein air was painted late in the day. It needs several adjustments...but I'm posting it anyway, the color seems pleasant!  I can make use of these color notes for another painting in the same place.

A while back Thomas Kitts counseled me: "Everything you need for plein air painting should fit into ONE backpack!" At the time I thought that didn't seem really possible, but after that conversation I have worked on paring down my equipment and I've gotten completely comfortable with the single backpack rule. Here is a list of everything I have: 
  • Assorted brushes
  • Paper towels
  • Palette knives
  • Razor blade scraper
  • Clamp
  • Tripod
  • Mineral Spirits container (Metal)
  • Mineral Spirits (2) (in plastic containers)
  • Small plastic bowl for clean mineral spirits
  • Tape
  • Wet wipes
  • Open M Pochade Box (with extensions)
  • Paint: Cad yellow light, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Winsor Green & Titanium White
  • Plastic bags
  • Ray Mar panels
  • Ray Mar wet canvas carrier
  • Plastic bags

And it all fits in here! Now, it is true I also have a large tote bag that I consider my 'purse' (but there is no painting equipment in it). Shhhhh, Kitts might disapprove of that purse thing, so let's not tell him.

(Top Photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Sauvie Island, oil on 6x8 canvas panel 

10 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh wow, Celeste! I absolutely love this piece. The palette is exquisite and my favorite! That backpack looks so heavy! And I can't believe you manage with just four colors! Truly amazing! (And do I talk with exclamation points? Alas, yes.)

Libby Fife said...

What he doesn't know won't hurt him:) Purses don't count anyway and besides, if you couldn't whip out a Kleenex for Your Man when he needed one you would get in trouble:):):) Good just on the economizing on your field kit.

Dan Kent said...

I love the colors! Thanks for showing us your kit. Recently I've been using a backpack for plein air watercolors. No guts yet even for acrylics. And oils with already toxic stuff!? I am inspired. Again.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Thanks for showing your painting supplies. This is what I want to do, get a good system. The painting has wonderful colors and the day looks rainy.

Jeanette said...

I love that late day light, perfect colours. Its on my 'bucket list', nocturne painting but dusk will do for now. :)

Because I live in the woods, quite literally, I don't have far to go to paint 'plein aire', so I don't have an elaborate kit. However, I hope to do some further afield this summer so seeing what's in your kit helps a lot. Thank you!

hw (hallie) farber said...

This painting just glows.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Sherry, Libby, Dan, Sherry, Jeanette, and Hallie! Appreciate your comments! :)

Kevin Neal said...

I'm always impressed with how much depth you can get with what seems like such broad strokes. The trees and the sky are just great. Love the tree trunks.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

What a beautiful color flow - analogous harmony at its best!
Hard to believe you use Windsor green. You are very good because I could not tell.
No bug spray?????

loriann signori said...

Love the jewel-like color in this piece Celeste.
Nice reduction in the painting materials!