Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday!

I swung by the Portland Art Museum today....and saw two great exhibits. Here is a sculpture by Gaston Lachaise whose muse is simply described as 'woman'. It seems he thought of the entire universe as 'woman'....which suits me just fine....because, well, yes, I am one myself.

Cyclepedia is a gorgeous exhibit of beautiful bikes, old and new...

The bikes are suspended from the ceiling ... dreamlike

One of my motivations for going to the Museum today is that I'm reading  Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper by Harriet Scott Chessman. The reader gets to 'be there' while Lydia (Cassatt's older sister) models for Mary. In an early chapter Lydia holds a teacup and Cassatt and Degas argue about the angle of Lydia's arm. In the end Mary wins and the arm stays as she wanted it. (Go, Cassatt!) Well, all that got me thinking about Cassatt's paintings--and though there are none on view at Portland Art Museum...there is this one Degas.

I started another painting in the blue theme. I'll decide what is next for it tomorrow. That's it for me...what is going on with you? :)

Painting-in-progress, Celeste Bergin, Bluescape, oil on 16x8

6 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

The blues and violets of this latest piece are so dreamy! Can't wait to see where you think you need to add more to it. I love Cassat's work, and Degas' too. Sounds like a fabulous art filled day!

Page Railsback said...

Very Nice Monet..love this and Monday's post

hmuxo said...

It looks like you had a wonderful day at the museum, Celeste!! and your painting is beautiful..love the reflections!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Now I want to go to the Museum too. Don't they have some Mary Cassatts? Your painting is beautiful! Very blue!

Dean H. said...

Fine painting, Celeste! The front wave action advances it!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Have you been cloned? There's reading, visiting museums, the Sargent drawings, the meetings, your exhibits--and beautiful paintings!