Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wed-nes-day!

I put an empty frame on a chair today and Mufasa laid inside it. I took this photo and thought 'yessss, that could be bloggable". I painted today, but I didn't finish it...I'll take it up again tomorrow.

At the end of the day I went to Beaverton City Hall for Joanne Kollman's reception. The City Hall is in close proximity to the Police Department, so it was interesting to observe an officer interviewing some citizens right there in the lobby next to Joanne's paintings. Art hanging in a public building is a true contribution. It's likely that many people who don't normally set out to see art will have this positive experience ......all because someone had this savvy idea. I loved the children's art on the 3rd floor too.  To read more about it go HERE. Slideshow below (direct link to photos HERE).

9 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

What brilliant paintings. My favourite is the cat in the frame!

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Celeste,
This posts takes me back to your exhibition there! I well remember wandering the various floors and hallways and, of course, seeing your paintings.
I also clearly recall thinking I saw you walking out of the building. Turned out it wasn't you, but at the time, it seemed like another missed opportunity to meet you.
Time does fly by, doesn't it?!
Enjoy your tomorrow.
Sincerely,
Gary.
PS Not long after moving here, I was jogging on King Street and noticed the doors to a building called "Honolulu Hale" were open. Turned out to be City Hall! They had an art exhibit going on, too!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Poor Mufasa. Always getting framed. LOL He is such a gorgeous boy. Joanne's art looks fabulous. and I have to agree with you on the kids' art. It looks awesome!

Libby Fife said...

Very smart to have those paintings hanging there for everyone to see, especially people who may not see them otherwise. And I think it removes a little of the intimidation factor out of making a trip to the police station. I love art in public places. That was one of the highlights of my trip to Stanford Hospital last year. The place is filled with artwork of every sort. It was nice to look at and helped to distract from what I was actually doing there:)

hmuxo said...

It looks like such an amazing exhibit, Celeste! Wish I could have seen it in person...and what a great painting of Mufasa!!!!LOL

Sheryl Anthony said...

Your cat is a masterpiece, Celeste. I agree that art in public places is uplifting for all. I'll get by to see this.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Love that image of your beautiful cat. It should be framed ..... LOL

I agree about allowing the wider public to see art where they might not expect it. Galleries can be too exclusive, can't they.

PAMO said...

Mufasa is always bloggable! What a doll baby.

I am so thrilled when I see art in a public building. I completely agree that it is a positive experience.

Wonderful post. I always love all your photos and links. Thank you!

Kevin Neal said...

Great stuff. Joanne and I were in the same class in grade school. I got the invitation but wasn't able to make it.