Friday, August 9, 2013

Friday!

Today I visited Steigerwald Lake Wildlife Refuge (in Washington). I meant to just walk in for a short bit, but I wound up walking the entire loop. It was hot-hot-hot. (I painted this oil study at the very end of the day).

I really enjoyed doing a whole bunch of compositional sketches in the refuge.  Lots of good views. I'll come back here for sure. (It is just a half hour drive from Portland).

One of the highlights of my visit was watching these young guys take their canoe out into the Columbia River. I guess they might have been rowing to  Reed Island.

Here was some signage I was happy to see during that long walk in the boiling heat. It reads "Time to come home". It was another mile or so to the parking lot...but it was a welcome sight. The sign above the gate (that gets closed in the winter) reads: The love for all living creatures is the most noble human attribute. 

(Top Photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Evening, oil on 6x6 

9 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

What a lovely glow you have to this painting

CrimsonLeaves said...

It is as if the message is purely meant for the animals...time to come home. What a beautiful refuge too! I love your deep rich colors and wonderful composition on this piece. Once again, I am reminded of an old masters work that is a couple hundred years old. This piece has that rich patina of old varnish just by your color choices. Amazing!

hmuxo said...

Wow!...I love this oil study, Celeste!!. Wonderful work.(love the greens)

Sheryl Anthony said...

Beautiful painting, Celeste and that rowboat looks refreshing on a hot day.

SamArtDog said...

Great feeling. That end of day vibe is well-done.

David Starr said...

Great mood in that painting. I like it a lot.

David Starr said...

Is the boat at the Wildlife Refuge too?

Page Railsback said...

REALLY nice painting. This stands out. Lovely mood, colors...you hit the jackpot on this one Celeste

Margaret M. Lin said...

Beautiful. Love the colors and composition!