Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saturday!

This is a Sargent copy that I did late in the day today. It's good here and there---but I straightened him out some...Sargent had him slightly tilted back.  Well, I'll do it again...I bet I can do better.  I sure like his crazy hair.

Something I've learned is that your sharpener is really important. The one on the left is a really good one. It's called a "Bullet" and it sharpens great. The Sharpener on the right has not won my approval...it chews things up. 

I took a walk to Montavilla today...the Monastery looked especially pretty against the poofy clouds.

In Montavilla I had a cup of mint tea and did some contour drawings. 

What about you----are you having a good weekend? What are you doing?

(Top Photo) Sketch, Celeste Bergin, after John Singer Sargent, charcoal on 6x9 toned paper sketchbook

9 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

I am having pancakes today, my friend. Harvest Nut & Grain. Anyway, I love the Sargent piece and you have me wanting to try something similar. Alas, I cannot do well with faces without a grid, though. You do it brilliantly!

Libby Fife said...

I like that you straightened out Sargent's drawing:)

Looks like a great walk too. Went for a walk myself and also did some contour drawing. Must be on the same wavelength:)

Sheryl Anthony said...

Great drawing, Celeste. I can't see anything wrong with it. Thanks for the sharpener tip. I am reading and watching art movies this weekend!

Kevin Neal said...

Fantastic drawing, Celeste. Sargent's influence is passed down thru generations. The book I refer to the most for watercolors was authored by Burton Silverman, who was greatly influenced by Sargent.

John Simlett said...

The 'after Sargent' drawing is strangely modern, hairwise.

The thing with pencil sharpeners is that the shiny blade held in by the screw gets blunt. Theoretically, you can remove the blade and replace it ... but I have never met anyone that does, nor seen blades for sale.

I have a show tomorrow (Public holiday) at a Heritage Centre, so I spent today making 8 easels of various sizes to supplement what I have all ready.

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, John, Kevin, Sheryl, Libby and Sherry!

John....I should have mentioned that sharpener that I don't like is very new! I just bought it and have used it a total of like 3 times. It just breaks whatever I put into it. It may be a dull blade...but if so..that's how they sold it.
I think it is more of a design flaw somehow. :)

David Starr said...

You have me thinking that this would be a good thing for me to try. (To draw a Sargent drawing). I'll do it. Yours are coming out great.

Linda Popple said...

I always enjoy seeing your Sargent pieces. And sharing your what you are doing.
My week-end was full of house stuff. We are still organizing from the move.

PAMO said...

Love the hair and the shading on his face. Wonderful work.
Great photos too. You live in a beautiful area... so full of inspiration for a talented painter like you!