Saturday, September 28, 2013

A very rainy Saturday!

What a great day to paint in the studio. I decided to do a quick copy of one of my favorite Manet paintings....Portrait of Berthe Morisot. It's not a perfect copy, by any means--but instead of a slavish reproduction, my objective was massing big shapes and .....working quickly. Here are the steps:

1. It's always gratifying to use an old panel that didn't work out. I turn it upside down...so that I don't 'see' the other image.

2. Slapping down dark paint

3. indicating some quick placements.

4. massing in the light side of the face.

5. establishing (quickly) the shadow side.

6. putting down more big shapes

7. I didn't want to labor over this (it's just a study)...but I see I need to slow down some...and take more care with the drawing.

8. I've made her face too slender and her mouth isn't centered. Luckily...this is just paint and I can wipe things out and make revisions.
9. starting over with her mouth.

10. putting in the background.

11. After the corrections...I am thinking this is a fairly good study...but then I see I have her looking down instead of how Manet had her looking at us. 

12. it's only paint--! So I eradicate that downcast eye.

Ok...! This is the finish. The printed copy I used to paint from made her cooler in temperature than many of the versions I later saw on the internet. Maybe I'll do a warm version next time. I enjoyed doing this and working fast.  I'll do more of these copies/studies!

(Top Photo) Painting (after Edouard Manet) Berthe Morisot, oil on 16x20 canvas panel

(p.s. I didn't get to go to Art Discussion Thursday...but ----if you want to see what the artists brought....go HERE). 

17 comments:

hmuxo said...

SO impressive, Celeste. You did a wonderful job with this portrait...
excellent study.

Helen H Trachy said...

I've always loved this painting of Berthe Morissot. Beautiful job!

M. J. Muir said...

I love seeing the series of images as you progressed with this painting and to see her become almost alive to look out at us from another century. Wonderful. Glad you stayed home to paint today. It was awfully rainy today on the west coast. Good day for painting indoors.

CrimsonLeaves said...

She is beautiful, Celeste!!! I found the one image rather mesmerizing. One face up, one upside down...

Dean H. said...

Love your concept of giving an upside down canvas new life, Celeste!

Very well done study.
Step #10 stood out to me....It really shows off great fresh brush work!

Chris Lally said...

You nailed it, Celeste. Beautiful!

Sheryl Anthony said...

I really enjoy seeing the progression shots. I will try to paint over an old painting. Your study come out excellent!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Wow! Celeste! This is so great! Love this portrait! Manet would be proud!
Thank you so much for posting photos of the steps leading up to the finished product. I am currently struggling on a portrait for a friend and your painting stages are ever so helpful. Sometimes I forget the steps and stages needed to complete a successful portrait! Well done Celeste!
(Thanks for the "Waves" request. I needed a little push lately!)
Your New England Art Buddy!
Michael

hw (hallie) farber said...

Wonderful painting, Celeste

L.W.Roth, said...

I can't wait to follow your lead! These are wonderful studies, an excellent way to spend the day. You are always full of surprises. I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Sergio DS said...

Bien hecho y muy bien aprovechado.
Me encanta.
:)

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Congrats on a fabulous copy. I have always love this Manet and think you did an amZing copy.

Kevin Neal said...

I like it! And it's a good example of how a good compostition can be done many different ways. (Something to remember when I try to get the exact colors of paintings in the photos for posts. If it's good, the composition and contrast will be what matters most, right?

Kevin Neal said...

I like it! And it's a good example of how a good compostition can be done many different ways. (Something to remember when I try to get the exact colors of paintings in the photos for posts. If it's good, the composition and contrast will be what matters most, right?

Kevin Neal said...

By the way, I like the idea of painting over the old upside down.

David Starr said...

The steps are great. Makes me want to try this!

Jane said...

An excellent copy , very similar to the real one . Always liked this portrait. Also really love the way she painted.