Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday!

Recently I re-read an account of a murder that took place in a town where I had once lived (Gulfport, Fl). In the online article there was one solitary photo of the victim. I didn't paint today, so I took on the challenge of sketching this portrait as an exercise. I came close to a likeness...but I know I can do better. Maybe I'll try again --down the road.

I'm aware there are some artists who have practiced from mugshots. It seemed a little weird (and ghoulish) to practice from a victim. I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. It's too sad!  (...and it's a funny by-product to want to do a perfect job....when the person you are drawing is no longer here). 

Sketch, Celeste Bergin, Karen Gregory, charcoal on toned paper 6x9 sketchbook

11 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Sometimes something just sits on the heart and I think it is awesome that you remembered this woman as you have. You did a wonderful job, Celeste. I simply cannot get a good likeness without a grid to help me when it comes to portraits.

Carol Hopper said...

Lovely! You are gifted in capturing a likeness.

Lisa Graham Art said...

The drawing looked haunting before I read that she was a murder victim. I think it's honoring that you should paint or draw them, Celeste. You captured this beautiful woman well too. I love working with charcoal, don't you?

Mary McCoy said...

Good likeness, Celeste.

I practice with mugshots. I feel sad about them too.

Sheryl Anthony said...

She has a very interesting face. You did a very good job with the likeness.

Candace X. Moore said...

Once more, your post inspires me, Celeste.

Very evocative sketch...enigmatic. That's what it's all about imo. And not everyone can do that.

hmuxo said...

WOW, Celeste..you did a beautiful job with the likenes of this woman. EXCELLENT portrait!!! I've been away on vacation so I've been catching up and I love your previous paintings. Wonderful work.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, hmuxo, Candace, Sheryl, Mary, Lisa, Carol and Sherry! thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

Anamaria do Val said...

Yes, it's strange but I understand why you draw her face, you must be touched by her suferring. You capture her , but from my point of view her face is a little wider. Great likeness, anyway!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Victims should definitely be remembered. Lisa is right, a haunting drawing--good work.

Anonymous said...

Karen Gregory and her then boyfriend took me in and mentored me as a teenager in Fitzwilliam NH. I was I'm the military when I found out what happened
She was the kindest person in the world. William Parker Concord NC lukefritz10@yahoo.com