Saturday, September 14, 2013

Saturday!


Here is Michael Lindstrom giving us a mini-lecture to kick off his one-day workshop.  It was a gray morning at Burnt Bridge in Vancouver, Wa. (Despite the big electrical transmission towers that kept reminding me of Erin Brockovich, there are scenic views in most directions). 

Michael showed us two of his paintings. One was done very quickly and expressively. The other was more controlled and 'quiet'. 

Michael did a great demo that had him troweling on the paint in big globs. (His painting turned out great). 

The gray and fog burned off and we had sunshine for the rest of the day. My first attempt did employ plenty of paint...but I wound up just hating my effort. Piling on the paint is a bigger  challenge than you would think!  I'll have to make a concentrated effort to slather it on! 

My 2nd little practice  painting showed some promise... and I'll take Lindy's advice and paint a 2nd pass on top the paintings I started today! Lots of paint needs something to grab hold of. Michael's demonstration showed us that any tool to get the effect you are after ........is allowed. :)

Well, it was a good day---how was yours?

9 comments:

Michael Lindstrom said...

Your paintings today were lovely Celeste! One of the many great things about you is your willingness to try keep an open mind and try different things, which is the mark of a great artist!. Thank you so much for coming. It was really a joy for me to have you there!!!

CrimsonLeaves said...

I so wish I could find time and energy to do these types of things. I like the effect of your thumb tool. Looks awesome!! Those electrical towers are an eyesore, aren't they? But I suppose a necessity?

Carol Hopper said...

It is a rare thing that I am jealous but today I am green. Your blog was so interesting, I wish you had written more; not only about the painting you acquired which I want too, but your photos and information about the Michael Lindstrom workshop.

Keep blogging after you paint!

Libby Fife said...

That looks like a great day! And you are right-it is not easy to just apply a lot of paint:)

Not a super arty Saturday but pretty good nonetheless.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Yes to fingers in the paint; I look forward to seeing your paintings.

That's a beautiful Ulitskiy you've added to your collection.

hw (hallie) farber said...

And I love the photo of the artist sitting on the side of the road.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I want to take a workshop in the future. This one looks like it would have been a good one. Looking forward to your finished painting.

Chris Lally said...

Thanks for giving us permission to use our fingers. What a beautiful result, Celeste!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It is inspiring to see how various artists pile on thick paint. I always love seeing it on others' canvases. However, I find it a challenge to make it work well for me.