Saturday, September 21, 2013

Saturday!

Today I gave a talk at Muse Art + Design as part of their new artist-to-artist lecture series. My presentation had to do with motivation and reward (as it pertains to creative pursuits).  I brought in a few of my paintings, including the one above. 

Even though I've developed a pretty good habit of drawing and painting on a regular basis, I certainly don't profess to be any kind of expert on motivation.  For this reason, I referred mostly to ideas found in Steven Pressfield's (brilliant) book The War of Art.  Pressfield has solid theories of why artists have deep issues and problems staying on course....but even better, he has a super-good answer of what to do about it.  The book can be found here.

A big thanks to everyone who came out and to Muse Art + Design for the opportunity to share these ideas. I had a wonderful time...(and no one threw a tomato at me!) Hooray! 

(Top Photo): Painting: Celeste Bergin, Alone, but together, oil on 8x8 canvas panel, framed (SOLD)!

(Here is a slideshow from the day...(Thanks, Dave Burbach) direct link to photos HERE):


13 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Looks interesting post and I am sure you were inspiring

L.W.Roth, said...

Your paintings in the rain are wonderful and this one is spectacular. I love crowds, I love grays. Your gray blends make me feel the damp chill of a rainy day. I also think I'll love this book I just bought. As art has been a lifetime joy, it has also been a nemesis. I am looking forward to reading what Pressfield has to say.

hmuxo said...

Congratulations on selling this painting, Celeste! Beautiful piece!!!

Candace X. Moore said...

The War of Art is one of my favorites too, inspiring like few others. And his writing style is so wry/witty. Here's another related post I came upon yesterday. I thought it was worth passing on. http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/getting-started.

Btw, someone got a nice painting from you yesterday.

Dan Kent said...

I love the way you portrayed the crowd in this painting!! And thanks for the book recommendation - I am definitely going to buy this one. Congrats on the talk!

Chris Lally said...

I was one of the lucky ones able to attend your motivational presentation. You are a gift, Celeste. Thanks!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

great speech, Celeste! I appreciated it all.

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Congrats!!!!
Best wishes, Sadami

Lisa Graham Art said...

You had a full room...how wonderful for you and for them. I love the painting here...so happy it's sold. The book looks like a good one. I can't seem to find time to read anything these days...it's a battle just to find time to create.

I love how you are really LIVING art...and always immersed in it. Very inspiring!

David Starr said...

I meant to be there. I need this talk. Can you give me a synopsis so I don't have to read any books?

Maggie Maggio said...

Thanks so much Celeste for being willing to kick off the lecture series. My bare bones synopsis - do something artful every day. Volume is key.

mary maxam said...

What a great title for this powerful work- I love it. I will have to look further into this book,I haven't heard of it. I'll bet you were a most inspiring speaker, would like to have been there.

Dean H. said...

Really enjoyed the photos!