Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday!

I've been enjoying painting out of my cigar box/pochade box. I used it when I first started painting. I was inspired to unearth it from a forgotten corner of my studio because of a recent blog post about small pochades by Thomas Kitts.  I used my cigar box to paint this still life of forsythia (painted indoors --'expressively'). 

I live near Mt. Tabor park and there is a good spot where I've discovered I can practice painting the distant hills. I can walk here (though I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that steep grade!). I have an idea that it would be cool to paint from the same spot over and over. I just may try to find time for that in my schedule.

 The same subject seen from a different angle offers subject for study of the most powerful interest and so varied that I think I could occupy myself for months without changing place, by turning now more to the right, now more to the left."—Paul Cézanne in a letter to his son, 1906

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Forsythia, oil on 8x8 canvas panel

14 comments:

art by Michael Perchard said...

Celeste!
This is one of the most colorful and most beautiful paintings. I love forsythia! This is smashing!
Love the photo of you painting!
Also loved the charcoal portrait from the other day! Very dramatic and mysterious. Great likeness. Well done!
Have fun!
Michael

mary maxam said...

Painted VERY expressively with your usual grand brushwork. Love the idea of painting the same place over, a la Monet!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

So vibrant and strong. Love the design and paint application.
Those little boxes are great for painting in the car on a trip too.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Absolutely gorgeous and oh so exquisite palette!! You paint almost daily and everything is always so beautiful. I am so awed, Celeste. And maybe I'll have pancakes. Of course, my mood does change by the time Saturday rolls around...LOL

Polly Birchall said...

This is a lovely painting. I like your idea to paint the hills from the same spot. You would be Celeste Cezanne then!

Caio Fern said...

this park seems to be a nice place.
..and I like the "loose" painting.

Page Railsback said...

Vibrant still life and the portrait is right on..Kind of cool that you are sending energy to that woman even though she is on a different plane now

Sergio DS said...

I just find the unique acceptable argument to start to smoke.
Great painting!

Regards.

Cindy Williams said...

Beautiful! Do you prefer still life or plein air?

L.W.Roth, said...

I love the thumb box idea! Now you've (and Kitts) have me thinking how to make a less industrious one to take to Mexico. I'd love to figure out how to travel lightly with oils.

hmuxo said...

BEAUTIFUL colors, Celeste!!! Wonderful work...

Libby Fife said...

I've seen that size box and have always been interested. Seeing it in your hands was useful for determining scale so thank you. Now, get going up that hill!

Carol Hopper said...

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself and your photo. I feel like I know you a bit now. I am happy to see your painting and drawing as I learn from you. Your design is very strong.

Kevin Neal said...

Hey, I painted a scene just up the hill from that about a year ago. It was looking down the road through the trees. Good views up there.