Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday!

In my Sargent book there is this lovely interior that I sketched today. After I finished the sketch I discovered that this wasn't painted by Sargent, but by a man named James Sleator (it was the painting behind the chrysanthemums that was done by Sargent). Well, maybe it still qualifies for my Sargent project.

We found ourselves on Hawthorne street for a walk again today. This sculpture is famous here because it is next to the yard of Linus Pauling's childhood home. The sculpture represents an "Alpha Helix". If it weren't so chilly today I would have sketched it. I love the shapes and color. 

Bonus! It turns out that the house where the sculpture is has been converted into a bookstore (Anthology Booksellers)...and they have a great art section!

Here's the sculpture from the porch of the bookstore. I think it is really beautiful....don't you?!

How is your day going??

(top photo) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, value sketch after James Sleator, 9x6 sketchbook toned paper 

10 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

NICE POST!
Great to see other places!

Page Railsback said...

Interesting sculpture! Like your unfinished, finished still life..Agreed..perfect as is

Sheryl Anthony said...

That is one neat drawing! love it! That sculpture is amazing.

weekend et coup de brosse said...

Very nice post!
Have a lovely weekend!
Cath-(Cath CH Photography)

Libby Fife said...

What a great sculpture. You sure have a lot of interesting little nooks and crannies to visit where you live. I enjoy "our" walks together:)

CrimsonLeaves said...

Leave it to me, but I'm so digging that flagstone walkway! That is what really catches my eye! Love the interior of the bookstore too. That used to be a dream of mine...To own a small bookstore, have a small tea/coffee area, sell local artists' art that was displayed all around the store...sigh...That will never happen. I don't have that kind of money.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Hah! Forgot to mention your art! I didn't think the still life looked like Sargent but the portrait behind sure did. You have taught me with your Sargent series and I think that is awesome! I love the drawing/sketch!

John Simlett said...

A great sketch, Celeste, it appeals to the mono-man in me!

Interesting sculpture and even more interesting book shop. My family is all about books!

hmuxo said...

LOVE the sketch and your photos are wonderful..nice sculpture...

Art Maine said...

Your Sargent book is wonderful, this entry superb, even if it's based on just the background it has a Sargent feel of a quick confident hand. His watercolors just left Boston's MFA, such a fine exhibit, so much to learn from, such a fine artist, eh?

And the Linus Pauling sculpture is a treat; thanks for sharing.