Tuesday, January 28, 2014

More Gouache!


I am enjoying my foray into gouache. What is especially fun about it...(because it is a water media)....I don't mind one whit screwing up. It's just gouache! It's only paper! That laissez-faire attitude translates itself into some interesting effects.

(Now, if you want to see how gouache is handled expertly...check out Bill Sharp. Whether he paints with watercolor, gouache or oil ....he has no fear and beautiful results!)

Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Night-Cityscape, Gouache on 6x8 toned/gessoed paper

9 comments:

Helen Moreda said...

Love the quick studies. You are having fun with it. What could be better.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Wow! I really love the color! Very expressive.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Gorgeous color and I love how the scumbling works as part of the composition (i.e., closest building on the left...the drier brush and paper texture both lend to actual windows on the side of that building). You amaze, Celeste!

L.W.Roth, said...

You are having a good time! I love this and particularly your last posy--the view from.. Water solvable paint does invite glorious freedom.

Anonymous said...

That is cool, I see what CrimsonLeaves pointed out that the scumbling "made" windows in the buildings.

Lisa Graham Art said...

That seems like a great attitude to have...that's what I love about painting in my journals too.

Off to check out your link.

I love your city scene here.

Chris Lally said...

Celeste, you could paint with mud and make it look like a masterpiece! I look forward to seeing every one of your paintings. Love the gouache!

Dan Kent said...

Okay - wow, wow! Can you ever stop being my inspiration?! I have been watching your last several posts and cannot wait to get into an art store to buy some gouache. I have been tired of the transparent watercolor for my moleskine and uncertain how to transport and use acrylics on the go. (So I haven't). Once again you have provided the answer! Love all that you are doing and have done - as always!

David Starr said...

It is inspiring me too!