Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday!

I bought some tubes of gouache a couple of days ago. I tried them out today to sketch Sargent's "Neapolitan Boy". I've never used gouache much ...but each time I do I really like it. Isn't it unusual how Sargent had most of the face in shadow...and just a bit of light in front of the ear? I'll do this again for practice. 

Here we are out for a walk today. A favorite destination is McDonalds on 82nd for a cup of coffee ...and to sketch something in my sketchbook. It's about 3 miles round trip. 

(Click to Enlarge)

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Neapolitan Boy after Sargent, Gouache on 8x10 gessoed cardboard

9 comments:

Page Railsback said...

You can draw and paint just about anything

mary maxam said...

The guoache sketch is so great! Love the direct shapes and Sargent's slice of light. Your walks are inspiring too!

CrimsonLeaves said...

What an interesting placement of light! I really like it and since I haven't studied Sargent, I thank you for the insight. I also love your graphic novel. LOL Poor guy...

L.W.Roth, said...

I have never tried gouache! It has got to be more solid than watercolor. Your copy has substance. Looks great! Odd facial syrup true though where the light catches only the cheek bone and not the rim of the ear. I'd like to see this guy from the front view.

You look great! And your coffee sketches do too.

L.W.Roth, said...

It's the hat! The highlight on the hat needs to be as vivid as his cheek. A lightbulb just went off!

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Wow, you look fit as a fiddle and staying warm. What a fun way to do art. Sargent is one of my favorite artists too….having copied Madame X (not life size however) as my first ever oil painting.

hmuxo said...

Wonderful sketch, Celeste! I love that little bit of light on his face!!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

What a good painting!

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

Love the way you did the Sargent and you know that I love gouache. Also like the sketches from McDonald's. Fun