Saturday, February 8, 2014

Saturday!

Yesterday I managed to get to I've been Framed Art Supply to pick up more gouache and today I painted in the 'art corner' I've got set up in the front room. The snow storm/ice storm is motivating lots of us to stay close-to-home. I painted this mostly from imagination. 

I've Been Framed is very close to one of my favorite lunch spots, Diane's. I took this photo out the window. As I sat there examining the sign-painter's work ...I recognized that gouache and poster paint are very similar. Opaque! 

Here's part of my painting/drawing station. It is a perfect place to spend some time on a winter day together with my pencils, my paints, zee cats... and a cup of hot chocolate. I'm not tempted to paint on the windows......or am I?

(Top Photo) Celeste Bergin, Nest, gouache on 10x8 gessoed paper 

11 comments:

mary maxam said...

You are so creative in yours posts! I love this for it's energy of brushwork and it is very gouache feeling. The paint stands right on the surface.

Sheryl Anthony said...

this bird in the nest is very cool and I like the painting statiion too.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

What talent - you can go from fine art to whimsy, flawlessly.
I like the drawing nook and yes - would love to see you do the window.

Dean H. said...

Very nice painting, Celeste! You and gouache have a good thing going!

Libby Fife said...

That sounds like a very nice Saturday!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh I do love the black in this beautiful bird painting, Celeste. I just so love all your work, really. I still remember Za's painting on her window (is it still there?) from one of your posts and thought it was awesome. If you paint on the window, remember that it will diffuse your light source...

Anonymous said...

Such variety! Good work celeste.

martine paquet said...

I just love this little bird! Is it difficult to work with gouache? You obtain very rich colors with this medium.

L.W.Roth, said...

You are selling me on gouache. The last paintings are not only delightful, but the opacity of the water based paint give the brushstrokes a solid quality that oil and watercolor lacks. Very nice. PS sorry I said your snow looks like a dusting; it looks like things have gotten more nasty along your coast--the better to stay in and paint. What a winter!

Helen Moreda said...

I love how you let your art into your life so completely. I have the gouache and am waiting to embrace it when I do not have time to get down to the studio. This is a lovely free painting.Good going, I say.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

sweet painting and the little station is so organized and looks so cozy ;)

I love winter for watching birds!