Thursday, February 6, 2014

Snow Angel

We don't get snow in Portland, Oregon like the rest of the country does. When I moved here a long time ago I was told there is something called the 'Japanese current' that protects Oregon from harsh winters. (I really don't know what that is and if it is true or not). Today, if it is for real, the Japanese current must have been looking the other way, because we are sort of joining the rest of the country now with snow and cold. 

All my usual events have been cancelled because of weather, so Dave and I watched a marathon of State of Play (a BBC episodic mystery) and we did venture outside for a little horseplay too. Brrrr! 

I painted the above painting with gouache. I love how opaque it is. My gouache supply is getting low and I plan to buy more (if the weather ever lets me get back in the car again). 


(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Snow Angel, Gouache on gessoed 8x10 paper

18 comments:

Art Maine said...

Snow, Snow, Snow,
Fun, Fun, Fun

Let the gouache flow,
moving movement in the
purple blue shadows,
moving, moving,
what a great snow,
what a great show.


Timothy Young said...

Your Winter Blast tickled me, great painting.

L.W.Roth, said...

Love your snow angel and playful photos. Celeste, you just got what we call a "dusting." Enjoy it. You can still go out. The "live load" on my deck is starting to worry me about the patio below and I can't get out that door to shovel it lighter. This winter has really been wintery and ideal for painting.

martine paquet said...

This is great..Love the violet shadows around your snow angel..very mystic. Gouache seems perfect for snow!

Jani Lori said...

Great pics and I love the movement in the snow angel painting.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Love your juicy application of snow. Fun painting and pics.
Glad you watched the State of Play. We did too.

Mary Jane Muir said...

Love the snow painting and the photos. You look so happy! Up here in Vancouver Canada we have the bitter cold. No snow yet.

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Celeste,
Thanks for reinforcing our belief that the move was a good thing!
Looks like you made the most of the snow! :)
Sincerely,
Gary.

Polly Birchall said...

Oh what fun, love the painting too

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh I do so think this is a fabulous painting! It totally reflects the fun the snow has brought to you and Dave. Love those photos of you too. You sure know how to stay young! (And so pretty too!)

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

So glad you are a child at heart. Your postings are humorous and I enjoy receiving them almost daily.

hmuxo said...

You look like you're having so much fun, Celeste..!!! lol Love your snow angel!!!

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Love this post, Celeste. Your gouache creation is just lovely. Stay warm over the weekend! :-)

hw (hallie) farber said...

We all need more horseplay--lead the way. I like your painting.

art by Michael Perchard said...

Love seeing you playing in the snow! Such happiness! Love your snow angel. So glad you are having snow!
I love snow and I am thrilled you are getting to enjou some!
Your snow loving art buddy!
Michael

Dan Kent said...

Colorful and fun!! I cannot wait to get to a box of qouache!

Chris Lally said...

Please don't run out of gouache. We're lovin' your paintings!

mary maxam said...

excellent subject and love the deep blue shadow around the figure- how fun!