Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday!

Here's a study I did last summer in the orchard at the Gorge White house. I didn't finish it... it was only meant to be something to refer to for color notes.  I painted another painting using this one as a guide of sorts...but it didn't succeed. This little dashed out version survived, while the more carefully-considered approach tanked. That's how it is sometimes. I'm glad I kept the study. It reminds me that the initial response is sometimes the absolute best one. 

Today I had lunch with my friend Barbara Szkutnik. Barbara is retiring from her profession as an international airline pilot...so we celebrated! Now she has more time to devote to her passion of pastel painting. Here I am with my new acquisition, a beautiful Szkutnik abstract entitled "In Amber". 

Barbara used to paint exclusively in a representative style. Her journey into abstract painting is exciting. She is a winner in this month's Pastel Journal in the category of abstract and non-objective...and she won last year too!  

The weekend is here...what will you do with it?

(Top Photo) Study, Celeste Bergin, In the Orchard, oil on 6x6 gessoed hardboard
(Bottom Photo) In Amber, Barbara Szkutnik

7 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

What a COOL abstract!

Sheryl Anthony said...

I know what you mean about a study sometimes having better qualities than the second painting. I wish I could see the other painting for comparison.

Sheryl Anthony said...

P.S. & great new abstract for your collection!

Tina Collins said...

This reminds me of Sargents watercolour of Gourds, as you have been studying him I thought you might like that. Great blog as ever, have yourself a fine weekend.

Libby Fife said...

That's a nice piece isn't it? Lucky you.

And you are sure right. Sometimes the first response is the best:)

CrimsonLeaves said...

Ooh, I do love this pear painting! Love how you captured light and shadow on it and the colors are so yummy!

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

I love your blog with the in and outs and ups and downs. I am interested in Barbara's journey to abstract and will click on your link. What am I doing this weekend? I am going to CA to the beach and taking Leslie Saeta's palette knife workshop.