Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday!

Today I did this sketch to add to my Sargent project. I added mineral spirits to the charcoal to make it extra-dark. I especially like the white bits in her hair. I wonder if she had those in her hair when she showed up to model....or if they were Sargent's idea.
This afternoon I went to "Private Collection" at Broderick Gallery, an exhibit of paintings and etchings by famous artists like Picasso, Dali and Franz Kline. Here are a few photos in a slideshow (or direct link HERE)

8 comments:

hmuxo said...

A beautiful sketch, Celeste. I love the side view.

CrimsonLeaves said...

The name sounds familiar, the owner looks familiar...but the place looks different! Does he have two galleries, Celeste? I thought Broderick Gallery was in that lovely blue house?

Love your Sargent piece and I got such a strong sense from your work that this model has a great sense of humor. She is a beauty!

Art Maine said...

136 Years Later . . .
Can this be? The portrait
"Head of a Capri Girl
Rosina Ferrara"
of Italy still lives
on today not only
at the museum in
Denver but in the art
of a celestial
Bergin in Portland . . . yes.

Dean H. said...

I REALLY like this addition to your Sargent collection, Celeste!
She displays a lot of attitude.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Great Sargent sketch. Is your book filling up? Enjoyed seeing the gallery too

Dan Kent said...

I really really love this sketch!

mary maxam said...

I love the white bits and that is the kind of thing that makes me wonder as well. This is so beautiful and the drama of the darks draws me right in.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Your Sargent sketches are amazing.. Maybe you're channeling?