Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday!

In honor of van Gogh's birthday (today) I painted this copy of his painting Wheat Field with Cypresses. It was fun to try to match van Gogh's energetic brushstrokes.  I'll add more paint when it dries a little.

van Gogh painted copies himself. His favorite artist to emulate was Jean-Francios Millet. He did something like 30 copies of paintings by artists he admired. Here is a Wikipedia article about van Gogh's copies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copies_by_Vincent_van_Gogh

In the afternoon we took a walk to McDonald's. A perfect walk, because it is about 3 miles round trip. There was a man who set up his office in a corner booth. He made a lot of phone calls and sat pretty still....so I used him as my model to sketch.

(Top Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, After van Gogh, oil on 24 x 28 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo) Sketch, Celsete Bergin, Office Guy, pen in 6x9 sketchbook

7 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I think you missed a possible calling as the sketch artist in a courtroom! Nice sketch of the Office Guy:)

Interesting article too on Van Gogh. It sounds like doing the copies in his own style was a comfort to him.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Gosh Celeste! Love that Van Gogh copy and it reminds me of one I did myself, though slightly different subject (mine was 2 cypress trees). Your clouds reminded me of the same way I managed them, right down to that lovely texture.

Van Gogh was so driven (and not just in his art) in everything he attempted.

Dean H. said...

A super post today, Celeste!!
Fine job on the Van Gogh copy!
Love your shot of the sketch pad with the model still holding the same pose in the background! :)

Lisa Graham Art said...

Happy Birthday Van Gogh! I love your rendering of it.

Good sketch too Celeste!

Loved your kitty in the window photo too. Such a pretty cat. We never did find our Bean. :(

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Oh boy, you did capture Van Gogh. Even before I began reading your text, I thought how like your painting was to Van Gogh. Awesome.

hmuxo said...

Excellent Van Gogh, Celeste! Keep them coming!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! Beautiful painting that captures Van Gogh's swirly shapes and rich color.