Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday!

Here's one of my recent landscapes. I added some small touches to it today. 

Last night I had the pleasure of addressing the Three Rivers Artist Guild. My lecture/talk was based on the book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. I shared with the group Pressfield's theory about fighting fear and resistance. It all has to do with remaining in a territorial orientation (instead of a hierarchical one). That part is key and you should get the book if you have been taking any breaks from painting or drawing. It was written in 2002, and aside from the fact some of examples of success seem dated (Lance Armstrong, for one), you'll still learn a lot about what holds us back. 

The Three Rivers Artist Guild is already very motivated and active, but I bet I (rather, Pressfield) reached a couple people who have trouble staying with it. Let's face it, it is indeed a battle......and he nails it when he calls it "war". (Pressfield urges us to fight back against this enemy within us, the one tempting us to do other things aside from our work). The good news is that we can easily make fear and doubt our ally and we can enlist the help of our higher self.

A big thanks to Tara Choate for inviting me...and to everyone at the Guild. What a great organization!

Oregon City is pretty---here is our walk to the car afterwards. The people at Three Rivers tell me that they are starting a plein air group and I'm going to want to throw in with them sometime, because there are nice views everywhere. :)

Link to Pressfield's book: HERE 
(He has written a couple books on the subject of art and work, but this one is his best).

(Top Photo) Celeste Bergin, In the Distance, oil on 12x9 canvas panel


9 comments:

Page Railsback said...

Really cool Celeste...Man ..I need to read that book..but I might be too busy doing other things than paint to sit down and read it! I so admire your fortitude and work ethic..It really pays off..Your work is inspiring. Keep it coming

hw (hallie) farber said...

I will order the book. I'm sure it was a great presentation. Love the painting.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Alas, I do not have a "higher self." LOL Sounds like even in your presentation preparation you learned more. I love your painting; as always, you have a captured a mood and for me, it is one that changes with me. I don't know how to explain that...

Lisa Graham Art said...

I wish I could hear you give a talk! That one sounds interesting.

The sky in your painting is dreamy. Very pretty painting!

PAMO said...

Another great landscape- just gorgeous.
I got that book awhile back on your recommendation and you are right- it's fantastic!
I'm sure the Three Rivers Guild was so happy to have you there. What a lovely city.

Dan Kent said...

Beautiful painting - I will be buying that book.

hmuxo said...

Gorgeous landscape, Celeste.
One of your best!!!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Great advice about that book. Love the painting.

David Starr said...

I read that book. Time to re-read it. I like the contrast in your painting.