Saturday, May 24, 2014

Saturday! (Za Vue Portrait Workshop)


Today was day one of Za Vue's two day portrait workshop. She gave a lecture, did a black and white demo and then we used some projected slides to paint value studies in black and white. She timed us, and we were not allowed to dither. We were looking for just three values, dark, mid-tone and light. 

We had to paint fast and everyone agreed that the lack of time helped us. No time to worry about detail.

Later Za did a color mixing demonstration and a block-in demonstration. In the afternoon we had 2 live models. We all did two color block ins. (This is my 2nd one). Again, we were given time limits and this made us make quick and solid decisions. 

At the very end we lined up as many of our studies and block-ins we could get on the tables and Za talked a bit more with us. It was a ton of things to think about. The color mixing demonstration in particular wowed me...but when I went to do it myself I found it challenging. I'll practice! Tomorrow is another day...I'm excited! Za is just a great teacher. :)

(Top 2 photos) Celeste Bergin, Black and White Value Studies, oil on 12x16 canvas panel
(Photo 3) Celeste Bergin, Color block-in, oil on 12x16 canvas panel
(Photo 4), Za at the end of the day
(Photo 5) Sequoia Gallery + Studios, Hillsboro, OR

7 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Fascinating - thanks for sharing. I love the results. Looking forward to day 2.

Sue Marrazzo said...

NICE POST!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Amazing works, Celeste. Can't believe you turned out so many so quickly. And they all look amazing. I really love the second B & W piece you did. So much mood, something you excel at!

Lisa Graham Art said...

This is so great...I love value studies...there's something so strong about them. I don't know any other way to word it. Have a fun Day 2.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I'm so envious that you are taking a class with Za Vue. I've been wanting to take this one, but the timing wasn't right. Great studies. Really makes me think about the value of values.

Dean H. said...

The concept of making fast decisions is a good one. Something I could use practice at. Love your work here, Celeste.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Your work is great here and, as always, I enjoyed your Thursday post.