Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sunday!

Friday I was in a one-day workshop with Za Vue in Hood River. It was just great (as I knew it would be). The class met at Mayer State Park. Instead of painting the river view I decided to turn the opposite direction to paint this bush. It looked really pretty in the sunshine.

Before the color study Za had us paint three-value black and white studies. 

This was my first black and white study. Nailing the values down ahead of color is so important!

I recently bought a used Soltek easel and this was the first time I used it. I liked it, except it was set up about a foot shorter than it should have been. It took me awhile but I think I have it adjusted properly now. Can't wait to take it out again soon. 

Now...what about you--are you painting? 

(Direct link to slideshow: HERE)
(Top Photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Mayer State Park, oil on 12x9 canvas panel

8 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

A most fabulous slide show, Celeste! Love your painting and to my mind, the value studies can stand alone as saleable art. Many go with black or white as a color for a room; these would look gorgeous framed in such a room!

Libby Fife said...

That looks like a great day! And I love the piece-it looks light filled with those rich contrasts of value and color:)

Sheryl Anthony said...

It is great to see the black and white studies. I am going to do that next time! It makes perfect sense. Beautiful color.

Dean H. said...

You're right...value study is a great help before actual painting, Celeste. I need to work on my patience for that.
Loved your landscapes!

Dan Kent said...

I really like the outdoor scene you painted. It just seems the whole piece is flowing like a backwards, elongated S!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Glad you chose the brush! Nice lights and darks. Great value study also!
Nice post!
Michael

hmuxo said...

Absolutely beautiful, Celeste!

PAMO said...

Gorgeous painting Celeste! I always dig your color sense but I'll have to say- your black and white studies are picture perfect!

You come to mind when I think about values and contrast. Maybe one day I'll get it half as good as you.

I always love my visits here!