Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday!

Happy New week painters and art appreciators! Do you have a lot of plans for the week? I do. Hoping I will be able to get it all done. This is a painting from the Sandy Delta park. 

Last Friday I attended a lecture by Thomas Kitts at the Columbia Art Gallery. This is from his presentation. Here he was talking about "Style vs. Mannerism". 

One of the things he talked about the popularity of Japanese prints and how it influenced artists like Mary Cassatt. So interesting! I hope he'll repeat this talk in the future in Portland. 

Bonus! I saw the current show at the Columbia Art Gallery (theme = gardens). The show has wonderful paintings... and they also included fabulous 3 dimensional "jewels" like this one.

Also....to see what everyone brought to last week's Thursday art discussion go HERE. :)

(Top Photo): Painting: Celeste Bergin, Two Trees at Sandy Park, oil on 10x10 canvas panel (purchase information here).

11 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Hi Celeste - love the cloud angle...gives a lot of energy to the vertical trees. As always, your paintings are full of life and wonderful colors.
I would have enjoyed hearing the discussion. So many artists I admire were influenced by the Japanese purity of design. Living in a small city challenges my intellectual art growth. I guess I am envious and you are lucky!

Helen Moreda said...

Celeste, the sky is the element that drew me in. It is so well done. Lovely painting. I always bit off more than I can chew come a Monday. Good thing or bad? Still learning about that.

martine paquet said...

Love the lively sky and the beautiful greens of your trees !

Sheryl Anthony said...

Great painting, Celeste and it is always nice to tag along during your art adventures

mary maxam said...

I like the airy feel heare and the subtle value control of land through the tops of trees. So nice Celeste!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Love your landscape, Celeste. You have quite an impressionistic style developing, I think. Your post was fabulously interesting too. I never was a fan of Japanese art but I can definitely see the influence in some of Cassat's work. I really like her paintings. That stained glass looking sunflower is just exquisite!! You are such a busy bee!

Lisa Graham Art said...

Your landscapes are always so pretty. You use such rich colors with rich earthy tone. I just love them.

Spent some time looking at past posts...your throwback Thursday painting is great...I can see why you have always liked it.

PAMO said...

Can I come spend a day with you just for the education? Wow! But you have a great art life! You are always an inspiration.

I'll drive the clown car and we'll do the town. :-)

Dean H. said...

I admire you for keeping up such a dedicated and active art life, Celeste!
A great painting once again!

suzanneberry said...

Lovely painting my friend! and thank you so much for your kind words. it feels so nice to be back!

Dan Kent said...

Well I saw this post a while ago, and am kinda glad it's still around because now I have time to comment. My reaction was - "now this is why I love Celeste's paintings!" I just love the trees against the sky.