Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday!

It's been awhile since my last figure painting, so I felt a little rusty painting this today. In the end I felt this was a fairly decent oil study. (I've got plans for more life sessions this summer). 

I love these small sketchbooks that I get called "Pen & Ink".  I keep this photo of my friend Crystal tucked in the very back. (Crystal died a couple years ago). When I use every page I eventually "reach" Crystal's photo inside the back cover. I always transfer the photo into the next new sketchbook. It's just a cool way to remember her!  

A typical simple sketch from my sketchbook...  the people in line at the coffee shop.

Today, also, I stopped by to visit with celebrated Portland artists Jason Brown and Chris Haberman. They were working on art for their upcoming show (beginning July 31) at Goodfoot. The Paparazzi (Dave Burbach) documented their cool space and remembered that he helped his Dad deliver bread (many years ago) from this same location on Stark Street (when the space was "Luxury Bread").

L to R Jason Brown, me and Chris Haberman

(Top Photo): Oil study, Celeste Bergin, Jasmine, oil on 16x12 canvas panel


10 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

My goodness! You look so young and beautiful, Celeste, truly!! Love this portrait...there is something about it that reminds me of a photo of my oldest daughter sitting on Santa's knee...Some period throwback sense with fine decorum and polite and proper young ladies...Very romantic feel to it.

L.W.Roth, said...

Doesn't look like you're too rusty to me. I like the simplicity. That is a cool art space, but I'm glad it's not mine to clean.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Beautiful portrait. The sketchbook is a perfect size, I think. Enjoyed your visit with the artists, what a space!

Dan Kent said...

Wonderful portrait - I'd never know you felt stiff. I was very touched by the photo of your friend in each skethbook, and love the sketch! Now to check out Pen & Ink!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Love the portrait, you are so good at this!
Also love your personal way of remembering, Crystal!
A good reminder to appreciate, life, friends, and happy days!

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Your blogs are always so interesting. I am intrigued by your sketch book and your desire to sketch so frequently. I love talking to everyone, especially when I travel to an area unfamiliar to me. Right now I am stopping every Mainer who has knowledge about life and cultural differences. Perhaps I should be a writer; what a joke!

Your portrait is great. Wow!

Page Railsback said...

LOVE your sketch book and what a cool idea and sweet way to remember your friend..Nice!

Helen Moreda said...

Great post Celeste. No you are not rusty with your portraits.......my favorite little part is the way you treated the lips. So simple. And thank you for letting us see your sketchbook. It is on my list to do.........

PAMO said...

You always do the BEST portraits! I didn't notice any rust.
I enjoy seeing your sketches. Keeping your friend's photo from book to book is very touching.
Your art friends are COOL!

Thanks for sharing- it's so much fun to see how you do what you do.

hmuxo said...

Love this portrait... it reminds me of the old masters... Wonderful work as always...