Saturday, August 16, 2014

Saturday (Za's workshop)

I went to Za Vue's half-day workshop (near Summit Grove Lodge) in Washington today. It was just four hours long..plenty of time for the lecture, some exercises and some demos. (The painting above was my final painting/study).

The first thing Za talked about is thinking in three values. (My value study fell into the dirt, but no real harm done, the sole purpose of it is to observe and make plans).

Then, as an exercise (to further our undertanding), Za had us shift purple, green and orange to cool and warm (while trying to stay within the same value range). A challenge, to be sure! A really great day in a beautiful place. :)

Here is a slideshow of the workshop. (Direct link to photos HERE).

(Top Photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Inlet Tree, oil on 8x8 canvas panel

13 comments:

Sheryl Anthony said...

Looks great. Very interesting information.

Libby Fife said...

This looks fun! And nice weather too.

L.W.Roth, said...

Reads like a great workshop. In the chart what was the color that shifted the cool colors towards warm? Did you use the same one for all three?n More information please. Three values is enough, I think after that, shapes seem to become details and life becomes confusing. From your colored final panel, Autumn seems to have arrived near you . I like the study, but hate the season that follows all too quickly. :-)) I get This way the closer we get to Labor Day. Yuk.

Dean H. said...

your painting looks very successful for this workshop, Celeste!
As always I envy your great art activities. :)

Pam Huggins said...

I admire you so much for always furthering your knowledge and networking with other artists.

Lovely painting too!!!

mary maxam said...

You have a marvelous color sense and it shows up again in this clean, vibrant study. I don't think you know what a 'muddy color' is!!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Za seems like she'd be a great friend. I'm so intrigued by the areas of white in this latest piece, Celeste! Gives it a unique look that I really like! Looks like you nailed the "all in the same value" theme on the various colors. Great work!

Linda Popple said...

Sounds like a wonderful workshop and looks like it was a perfect day!

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

I never consciously thought about shifting colors from cool to warm. What a good exercise though.

I read all of your blogs!

Helen Moreda said...

Great study.Love the simplicity, in both color and form.

hmuxo said...

Wonderful study, Celeste. It always looks like the perfect workshop day for you...

Sheryl Anthony said...

I came back to look at that color chart! I am not sure I understand the green purple orange color chart. Can you explain further what it is about?

Dan Kent said...

I really enjoyed this post - and looking at all your slides, and imagining being there, and wondering where are all the men? Dead? I hope I live so long as to enjoy workshops like this. What a remarkable exercise in color and values!! Za is masterful (I've seen her paintings through your links, on line), and I would love to hear her teach. It looks like some folks are being reprimanded by her! lol. Anyway, what I like most about the post, is your painting - of course.