Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday!

I've been reading the Edgar Payne composition book. There are a number of old sailboats/fishing boats in the thumbnails he shows for examples. This is a detail of a painting that I am working on that incorporates some Payne ideas.  It's just for practice. (You seldom get to see boats like this just sitting in the sand---but it makes for a great visual). 


Maxine the cat and I had a nice visit today (the cat I am cat-sitting). While she and I sat and listened to some afternoon television* ...I also took the time to paint the big leather recliner in gouache. *Afternoon television is terrible!

Yesterday I went to art discussion...to see what everyone brought, go HERE.

(Top Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, Old Fishing Boats, oil on 20x16 stretched canvas
(2nd Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, DG's chair, black and white gouache on paper


10 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Love the boats but the black and white is a stunner

CrimsonLeaves said...

So darned productive!!! Love what you are doing though. Really want that martini, friend!

Libby Fife said...

You are right-afternoon TV stinks! But you had Maxine and the lovely sailboat and a good book to think about!

I looked at the notes from art discussion day. I knew exactly the painting that you referred to. It's really compelling isn't it? Like you are there and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Compton Studio said...

That's funny - I am doing the exact same exercises with the Payne book. I am keeping a book of thumbnails of different compositions of a number of artists and using it as reference guide. I enjoy your blog Celeste - beautiful paintings as well!

Helen Moreda said...

Great composition. Love those horizontals. They pump up the interest. Nice.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Is it in Europe that they have boats on the shore in this way? You are right, it looks good. Enjoying the black and white too.

Pam Huggins said...

That boat looks lovely! It's a wonderful study.

Great chair too! Maxine is very lucky to have you as a house sitter.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Lovely, as always! Celeste, you amaze me with your endless talent!

Dan Kent said...

Well, this is some study! It is just beautiful. In fact the last three posts have been fabulous.

I want to check out that book..

And as always - a joy to visit your group.

hmuxo said...

Love the painting of the boat and the wonderful black and white study, Celeste!!!