Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday

Today I got to take Michael Lindstrom's one-day workshop in Vancouver. I had a great time, and learned a lot. "Lindy" had us thinking about describing things boldly with plenty of paint (something he is very well-known for). I wound up painting this big barkdust pile next to some sort of utility house. It is something I might not generally think about painting, but Lindy pointed it out and I thought "Yeah"!

I feel so lucky that I can get in on these workshops that are crammed with great information. Lindy's a super-good instructor. The day went by whoosh! so fast! (We were at Burnt Bridge Creek Trail.  A nice place for a workshop).

(Painting) Celeste Bergin, Barkdust pile and Utility house, oil on 16x12 canvas panel

Here is a slideshow from today...(Photos by David Burbach) direct link to photos HERE

12 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

There is something truly amazing in how you've captured this light, Celeste. Not something I would have painted either but it comes together in a strong way and the perspective is handled beautifully!

Libby Fife said...

That is a great painting! When I looked at the thumbnail I thought, "That's a winner!"

What a great opportunity for a workshop. And nice weather too. Hope you absorbed a whole bunch!

hmuxo said...

I really like this painting, Celeste.. perfect values and color! We learn so much from workshops..

Sadami said...

ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ·.•*•♫°•♫·.•ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ !!

Michael Lindstrom said...

Thank you so much from coming to the workshop, 'Star'. It was a great day and you painted an outstanding piece!!! I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you David for the great photos!

Sally Chupick said...

I would have thought this a nocturne. I looked at the workshop pictures and your reference shot and I now see the dark foliage and bright sunlight. It doesn't matter really what was intended, it totally captivates. Beautiful contrast of light and darks making a humdrum subject just come alive! Always fun to have a workshop day, and you were lucky to have such wonderful weather.

L.W.Roth, said...

Crimson Leaves is right. It is a mundane subject that most of us would have walked right by, but you made it into something special. The values and the light is rendered beautifully.

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

I loved looking at all your workshop photos. I wrote and comment/question on one about your the palette you are using with your Soltek. I hope you can answer. Hugs.

AK said...

The work has turned out fabulous. Great instructor and student!

Dan Kent said...

I really love the effect of depth here - light to dark. And the color choices are wonderful!!

Helen Moreda said...

Love it. You saw the shapes and values so well. I love it.

Sue Marrazzo said...

OH BOY! LOVE what you did here...NICE!