Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday! (Oil Study and Maxine the Cat)

I painted this oil study from a previous plein air. I might add more to it tomorrow, or I might leave it as a study. To be continued!

This week (and next) I continue cat-sitting Maxine. I go to her house every day to visit with her and I also use the time to draw/sketch her. An all black cat is a wonderful subject. She is a real one-person cat, so she has snubbed me a lot.

Today, however,  she warmed up to me. She came out and accepted some pets!  I read somewhere that black cats are considered lucky in Japan. I know I feel "lucky" that she modeled for me.

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Sauvie Island, oil on 8x8 canvas panel
(Bottom Photos) Drawings, Celeste Bergin, Maxine the Cat, Ink on paper

11 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

The colors are gorgeous in the landscape... But the cat drawings steal my heart.

Helen Moreda said...

In your study, you are playing with some interesting shapes. I will be fun to see what you do.....

CrimsonLeaves said...

The texture of the canvas itself lends beautifully to this serene scene. I am all about the serenity and the PNW so this one is over the top gorgeous for me! Love that you are working through Maxine's defenses. Love the b&w paintings of her!

Libby Fife said...

Maxine! That first sketch is so typical!

Beautiful "study":)

Sue Marrazzo said...

Love the cat's. THIS is So different!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Really good landscape. What else does it need? The drawings of the cat are really lovely!

René PleinAir said...

The landscape is awesome, but I find the canvas texture a bit too much, ...

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Ha Celeste! I took care of a cat in a similar way, got snubbed for the first few days until the cat realized I was ALL it had and appreciation then became forthcoming. Your paintings are heart stealing!

L.W.Roth, said...

How lucky you are to have a visiting model! Cats are so fascinating. I love the landscape as is. the reflection on the lake is great. The faded tone is how landscapes look this time of year. Your painting describes the day it was painted.

hmuxo said...

LOVE the plein aire Celeste!! A beautiful landscape.. and wonderful sketches of the cat!!!!
nice work...

Margaret M. Lin said...

I love your works of Maxine. They remind me of Japanese sumi-e ink paintings.