Thursday, October 2, 2014

Thursday!

Our art discussion topic was about canvases and supports today. I brought in this oil study (that was done on a sheet of Centurion linen). To see what everyone else brought...go HERE.

Dave G is back from his trip, so my cat-sitting duty is over. It was a lot of fun to draw and paint Maxine every day.  She seemed to sense that I was making her my model, so she would stay in one spot for long stretches! I've got an oil painting of her started (from a photo).

Drawing a cat is more of a challenge than you would think. They have such subtle shapes...if you aren't careful they come out looking like a dog. (And I have a lot of "dogs" to prove it)!

(Top photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Boy in 1930's school uniform (from photo reference), oil on 16x12 canvas sheet


5 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Love the boy painting, Celeste. And I don't know how you consistently do such beautiful paintings!! Always love your Maxine studies too.

Lisa Graham Art said...

Ha ha! I have cat drawings that look like dogs too, you are so right. I love the cat pieces you've done in your previous posts. And they LOOK like CATS! You go girl. :)

I love the old master look of your portrait here...those eyes.

Enjoyed combing through your recent posts...beautiful landscapes...the recliner was awesome...and I can see you sitting at your picnic table wringing paint with your wringer.

Happy weekend Celeste!

hmuxo said...

Excellent Thursday study, Celeste.
and such a treat to see everyone's work!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Good job on the boy and your cat paintings are always a joy.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Celeste, Just checking in, and catching up on what I have missed. All beautiful! Especially love this portrait!