Monday, January 19, 2015

Monday (Martin Luther King Holiday)

My friend Sondra and I talk all the time about getting rid of things. The discussion always comes around to getting rid of art that doesn't serve us.  This is a painting from my archives that was recently on the chopping block. At the last moment, I kept it. I painted it in Eastmoreland a couple years ago. It's just a study...but so far, it's escaped the bonfire.

Today was the first day in forever I felt well enough to go out. Dave and I walked to Rain or Shine Coffee Shop. I sketched some coffee drinkers into my small sketchbook.

I also painted another apple exercise. That's all I had in me. I'm really getting better though (health-wise)! Thanks for all your well wishes. Now I'll check your blogs now to see what you are all doing!

(Top Photo) Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Eastmoreland Sunset, oil on 12x9 canvas panel

9 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère Céleste,

J'espère que vous vous rétablissez peu à peu... Ces jours-ci aussi je suis un peu fatiguée, l'hiver se fait sentir !

J'aime beaucoup le petit croquis esquissé dans ce petit café...
Gros bisous ❀

Sadami said...

Celeste, lovely! Plse take care. Best wishes, Sadami

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Celeste: Today for whatever reason I loved your blog even more than ever. I haven't ordered Carol Marine's book YET and guess I better get it done. I have been getting weary of reading blogs this month and have been guilty of hitting "delete" occasionally, (never yours) what with the 30 in 30, so you gave me a genuine picker-upper today.

Page Railsback said...

Love painting over the old ones. Carol's book sounds interesting. FEEL BETTER!

L.W.Roth, said...

Love the sketch. Love that you're out for coffee. If you've kept something for a period of time, ten to one there's something in it you like. Hold on to that painting. Carol does make you want to paint an apple. So far, I've resisted--only because we don't have any in the frig.

SamArtDog said...

Celeste,
I read back in your blog and discovered you've been sick. Poor baby! The flu is all around, so I've been hiding out. I got it last year in Hawaii and vowed then "never again!".
I really like the "bonfire". Don't douse it!

Lisa Graham Art said...

So glad to read you feel better. I am happy this painting escaped the bonfire. Love your coffee shop sketch!

mary maxam said...

If this is 'what you had in you' you must be doing very well! love the blue shadows! the coffee shop sketch and saved painting are also inspiring!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, Celeste!

Throwing substandard work in the fire is scary but can also be such a relief. It's difficult to know sometimes, though. I've destroyed more than one piece I later regretted.

The landscape you saved is certainly worth keeping. It's quite lovely.