Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday!

I painted this awhile back...and tonight I made a few changes. I like the big shapes and the contrast. 

I got to the end of my small sketchbook...and, as is my routine, I put Crystal's photo in the back of my new sketchbook. I think Crystal and I have seen our way through three small sketchbooks. (I wrote about this once before here).

For my first sketch in my new book I sketched Dave B. I sort of made him look a little like a little old lady. Sorry, Dave! (and that's ok. I vow to do better next time... the cool thing about a little sketchbook..it's so friendly...it is sure to forgive me for all my mistakes).

We have a (renewed) sketch group that meets on Thursdays (after the regular art discussion meeting). I've gotten my favorite supplies together for next time. Marvy Le Plume pens for values, a Pentel brush pen, a fountain pen, a mechanical pencil, a red "value finder" and two sketchbooks. Here is a facebook page, (in case you want to see what we are doing). 

The value finder is very helpful (though I forget to use it half the time). 

Ok, and what about you...what are you doing? Happy New upcoming week...! 

(Top Photo Painting) Celeste Bergin, Tuning, oil on 12x9

12 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I do something similar too! I have some photos and notes in the back pocket of my sketchbook-I just keep transferring them to the next book:)

I like that cute little size for a pocket sketchbook:)

mary maxam said...

Oh wonderful! I am inspired to work with silhouettes now in the 30 30 challenge.this jumps off the page!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

he is great - so relaxed into his position and I love the way you made his jeans lighter as they moved away from his focus.
Drawing is always good. You can do it all!

I agree - The red is useful as long as you do not use it for reds and oranges of a similar value. They disappear. A Blue filter works for them!

L.W.Roth, said...

The guitarist is wonderful. You really nailed stage lighting. Sketching is always fun with or without a group. You notice so much.. The time flies.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Celeste, your blog is always so interesting on so many different levels, first of all, stunning artwork, next the heart felt stories, all combined with your beautiful writing! Thanks so much for your wonderful blog!

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

J'aime le flou dans cette oeuvre au guitariste... Il semble apporter le son.
Bravo ! vous parvenez à remplir vos carnets de croquis ! Je ne suis pas très assidue avec mon carnet. C'est un tort car je dessine directement sur la toile mes croquis...

Je vous souhaite plein de bonnes choses pour 2015 et plein de fantaisies !

Gros bisous ♡

Sadami said...

Happy New Year, Celeste! The work is really lovely and inspiring. I heartily hope 2015 will be a wonderful, creative and productive year for you. Please take care not to catch a cold. Best wishes, Sadami

hw (hallie) farber said...

"Tuning" is well tuned. What a nice way to remember your friend.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I like that idea of the photo in the back of your sketchbook. Nice painting. I can't be in the sketch group yet (work) but hopefully, in the future!

suzanneberry said...

Wonderful post and inspiring! nothing gets me motivated like seeing art supplies...buying them too obviously.

the painting is just beautifully done. your touch is light but so solid, beautiful!!!

Mary Jane Muir said...

You are inspiring me to get back to drawing with my pens and pencils. I think I will start today. Thanks Celeste. Turning off the iPad now. And the computer. Looking for that sketchbook I bought last year. I wonder if I can still draw?
Happy New Year!

V.J. Maheu said...

Wonderful painting! Glad I found your blog!