Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunday...("with" Carol Marine)

About 8 days ago I got the flu (yes, it's the flu) and I've been down for the count ever since. I had the shot! One redeeming thing about being sick is that you are completely forced into being quiet. What better time for me to read Carol Marine's new book "Daily Painting"?

I read it cover to cover! (I had ordered it from the library). I like it so well, I ordered my copy from Amazon today.

Why haven't I tried Carol's methods (up until today)? Truthfully, that still life box that she uses has always been my bugaboo. It just seems like a ton of complex work to put it together and light correctly. I was so intrigued by reading her book today, however, I decided to just do one of her exercises "making do" with what I had (no box!) I'll probably wind up purchasing a still life box, (unless I suddenly become handy). I do see the wisdom of the box.

Almost all Carol wrote about is foreign to me. Gessoboard? (I did have one)...synthetic brushes? (I did find a few) and putting one stroke down and leaving it?...wow, was that ever challenging.  I'm not recovered yet, so my energy level only provided for one single apple. I'll go back to it tomorrow!

......Carol's book is so good and I had a very cool surprise waiting for me on page 172---that's ME at the top of this photograph! (It's a picture of Carol's "Art Destruction Day Party" from a couple years ago). 

I'm very excited about practicing with Carol's recommendations. She is so generous with information. I'm thinking if you (like me) want to sharpen your skills you should definitely get ahold of a copy of Carol's book (and I'm not just saying that...because I am "in it"!) Check out her reviews

(Top Photo) Painting Exercise (in-progress), Celeste Bergin, oil on 10x8 Gessoboard 

13 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Celeste, thank u for sharing the precious info. You're inspiration, too. Plse take care. Best wishes, Sadami

Libby Fife said...

It's that part about putting one stroke down and leaving it. I tend to pet the painting to death! (As PKR says.) But, we can all be redeemed!

I hope you are on the mend. Glad you mentioned the book:)

hmuxo said...

I hope you're feeling better...I heard the flu is going around faster than we expected. Feel better. LOVE your painting of the apple. And having your picture in the book is such an added surprise!

John Simlett said...

I hope you are feeling a lot better today -poor you!

I shall certainly look out for the book on AmazonUK.

I'm really enjoying my art at the moment. I spent 9 months without art ...to get into the position where I can now draw/paint most days ... it was worth it!

Sally Chupick said...

hi Celeste,
I ordered Carol's book from Amazon just before Christmas, and yes, i read it cover to cover too! First time I've done that in a long time.loved it. good work with the apple exercise, and I hope you recover well soon.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Great looking green apple. Feel better soon. I'm going to get Carol's book too!

Evhe said...

I am reading carol's book too :)
Thanks for sharing!

L.W.Roth, said...

I haven't finished her book yet. I do think though that a still life stage is a must. I made one out of cardboard a few months ago, but have yet to use it. I need the lighting. I like synthetic brushes for small work, their pliability makes them easy to maneuver. The book is full of helpful tips and geared towards artists who paint a painting daily and are interested in online marketing. I've been exploring dailypaintworks ( DPW, the initials of Roosevelt's program for the arts in the depression era). Carol's book is quite stimulating. An energizing read.

Fresca said...

Thanks for the recommendation--I requested it from library, and I ordered a copy from Amazon for my 89-y.o. auntie who had her first art show last year!

Pam Huggins said...

Well- I love your apple!

So sorry you've been ill. That really sucks. Glad you are recovering.

And how cool to find yourself smiling back at you from the pages of a book you are enjoying! Life is good.

Nice to see you back.

Nancy L. Vance said...

Hi Celeste, I've followed your blog and Facebook for awhile now. I too love Carol's art and book. I read you were put off making a still life box. I made one easily out of black foam core board. I have a description on my blog if you are interested. Although since I made it, I had to change the light out to a simple lightweight goose-neck fixture. - Nancy

http://nartizt.blogspot.com/2014/07/tinkering-building-still-life-box.html

Lisa Graham Art said...

Aw, I am sorry you got sick Celeste and I hope you are much better now! The flu is just awful.

I too bought Carol's book. It is so inspiring and I have to say also that reading about blogging sort of refreshed my love of it. It is a great book.

mary maxam said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've taken her workshop and this reminds me to review all that great info!