Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday!

It may look "too much" ....but this is how it was tonight at sunset. Mother Nature brought out her own dazzling paint kit. 

In the way of personal news...My best friend Sondra Rebalkin passed away unexpectedly last week. She hadn't been feeling well, but she was a very hardy person and she had always rebounded. Not this time. 
The day after she died I did this little pencil drawing of her. When I finished it I smiled...somehow I had captured her.  I'm sad, of course, but I am also keenly aware of how blessed I was to have her as my best pal for all these years. I never had a sister--but if I had... pretty sure she would have been just like Sondra.
------  ("Are we not two volumes of the same book"? ---John Steinbeck)  

This one coffee shop where Dave and I wind up on our walks is also a gift shop.  I grabbed this little red bird as part of my still life sketch. I was so beguiled by it, I wound up buying it. My plan is to paint it next. It just makes me smile.

Hoping you are all have great plans for the upcoming week. :)
Oh, here is the art that showed up to last week's art discussion: Alla Prima Portland

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Sunset, oil on 8x8 canvas panel

13 comments:

Linda said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Your painting and pencil drawing are both lovely.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh Celeste...I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your best friend. My sympathies go out to you and all of Sondra's friends and family. I am so happy you were moved to draw her and that you've captured her heart and spirit. I love the painting, love the red bird!

John Simlett said...

Steinbeck always had the right words for any occasion: The loss of a good friend is a sad loss indeed, many sympathies.

Red sky at night ... (Shepherd's, we say) delight.

Wait to see the 'smiley bird' come to life

Libby Fife said...

Life is such a jumbled mixture of the good and bad isn't it? I am sorry you lost your friend. Very sorry.

sunsets do look like that. We get them that way too I think because of the atmosphere of haze. And what a sweet little birdie to keep you company!

Hope Monday gets off to a good start.
Libby

art by Michael Perchard said...

Celeste! I am so very sorry for your loss! Thank you so much for sharing with your art blogging community! So sad! I so love your sketch! Such a wonderful tribute and I am sure it will help with healing! You are a very good friend!
I love your sunset! Certainly not a bit much!!!
Vibrant! Exciting! Colorful! Glorious!
Again, I am so very sorry for your loss! Hang in there and take care buddy!
Michael

Sheryl Anthony said...

So sorry to learn of your friend's passing. The sketch is lovely. A red sunset seems so fitting.

Helen Moreda said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet sketch you did of her. And sunset colors are amazing! You captured it.

L.W.Roth, said...

Sorry for your loss. The loss of a soul mate friend is devastating , but they will live on in your memory and your heart forever. It is so cool that Dave will not complain while you sketch at lunch. He's special.

SamArtDog said...

Losing a friend is a special loss. A piece of your heart.
Nice drawing.

Pam Huggins said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounds like a truly special person. Thank you for sharing her with us.

hmuxo said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your friend Sondra!! The sketch of her is so beautifully drawn!!!
and your Sunset is amazing!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Hard to find the words.
I am so sorry. Happy to hear your memories are special and will last forever.

suzanneberry said...

Celeste, I am so very sorry for the loss of your best friend's physical presence. I have it on good authority that she's still with you and always will be.

Wonderful work!