Sunday, April 26, 2015

Happy new upcoming week!

This is just a little 5x7 cloud study. Facebook can be a good barometer (to let us know how a painting comes across)....because this one got a lot of likes. (I kind of thought I may have screwed this up, but guess it reads well.... based on the "likes"). 

Meanwhile! I've also been enjoying my sketchbook. Aren't sketchbooks just the best? It really doesn't matter if a sketch doesn't pan out..it's only paper, after all. I sketched the back of this building and enjoyed doing it. There was a woman on the stairs smoking and talking on her phone. 

On this same subject, my good artist friend, Jim King always says that drawing is the bedrock of painting. He personally paints like an absolute dream, but he also dedicates a large part of his day/week to drawing. This inspires me, because, clearly...the man has a complete handle on everything.... and yet he continues to "practice". 

The other day, on a whim, Dave and I watched "Rembrandt" (made in 1936). I took some photos of the movie on my digital camera and used them to sketch from. Lots of diverse shapes to choose from (hats, helmets, robes--- the whole nine yards)... And feeling inspired (ala Jim King) I sketched Elsa Lanchester.

The Rembrandt story was good, and even better, it was a visual extravaganza.  I used ink and pencil for the sketch above. Great practice!

During the upcoming week I am hoping to get some life drawing/painting in and also I am vowing to go to the gym. And you...what are your plans? 

(Oh, also I went to art discussion last Thursday...to see what everyone brought, go HERE.) :)

(Top Photo): Oil Study, Celeste Bergin, Cloud Study, oil on 5x7 canvas panel

10 comments:

hmuxo said...

Wonderful sketches Celeste! And a beautiful cloud study!
I loved the texture.....

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Love the way those clouds are moving. Great design and texture.
I agree about sketching, Celeste. The bedrock of realist/impressionist art. You did a wonderful job capturing Elsa, but my heart goes to your wash drawings

mary maxam said...

great sketches and value work. yes, these clouds do read well. the depth and brushwork are very appealing

CrimsonLeaves said...

I find every single piece you post an extravaganza (my word of the day, I think), Celeste. I've always loved the sense, the mood of your work and it even comes through in your drawings and sketches. I've got to start using my own sketchbooks and just get the mindset that they are for practice practice practice!!

Elizabeth Fife said...

I sort of guessed that was Elsa Lanchester! She was kind of distinctive looking particularly with that cleft/dimple thing in her chin.

I couldn't agree more about the drawing. I may never be super skilled at it but I liken it to stretching prior to exercising or just plain old exercising. You wouldn't expect to complete a long walk without it!



Sheryl Anthony said...

Great post, Celeste. Your painting of clouds and the drawings are just great.

lexmart cross said...

Thanks For Sharing that............

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère Céleste,

Pas toujours évident de peindre des nuages...
Mon mentor, que j'aime beaucoup (qui est extrêmement critique et c'est tant mieux !)me disait autrefois que mes nuages étaient des petits parachutes ! Je ne savais pas sur le moment s'il fallait considérer ça comme un compliment ou plutôt comme une critique...
Comme nous nous adorons, sur ce coup il n'a pas été trop dur et peu à peu avec le temps, tout en pensant à cette fameuse critique, mes parachutes se sont envolés et font place à présent à des presque vrais nuages !!...

J'aime beaucoup cette étude sur les nuages...
Tout comme cet adorable croquis pris sur le vif. Bravo également pour les esquisses inspirées de Rembrandt.

Je me réjouis d'apprendre que votre semaine sera ponctuée par le dessin et la peinture.
Ma semaine à venir le sera tout autant en la fragmentant de belles balades dans la campagne.

Je vous embrasse affectueusement et un grand merci pour votre gentil petit message.

Gros bisous.

Celeste Bergin said...

Alison Martine wrote:

Hello dear Celeste,

Not always easy to paint the clouds ...
My mentor, which I love (which is extremely critical and that's good!) Told me once that my clouds were small parachutes! I did not know at the time whether to consider that as a compliment or rather as a critical ...
As we worship, on this one it was not too hard, and gradually over time, while thinking of that famous critic, my parachute flew up and are now at near real !! clouds. ..

I love this study the clouds ...
Like this adorable sketch taken from life. Congratulations also for sketches inspired by Rembrandt.

I am delighted to learn that your week will be marked by drawing and painting.
My coming week will be just as fragmenting the beautiful walks in the countryside.

I embrace you affectionately and thank you for your sweet little message.

Big kisses.

(Thank you Alison Martine)!! :)

Sadami said...

Your sketches are so lovely, Celeste!